PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have this one new pipe of Castello Lovat model, and it has quite a wide broad chamber,more so than any other of my other pipes have,and as a result I'm finding this harder to keep lit and going,interesting to heard if anybody has come upon the same problem here?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah ... I have a dunhill with a deep and broad chamber, filter less, which I am afraid to keep on puffing harder so I won't get my head bit off. It goes off quite a bit, just like you mentioned. Honestly I am not a fan of huge bowls.

I have a few pipes that range between .95" and 1+" wide. I use mine for the heavy twists, ropes, and granny killers, ha ha. I have found lighting them can be a bit of a challenge, but holding the flame about half an inch over the bowl and puffing till I get fire jumping up always works for me. I sip them slowly once going and tend to stay lit. They do seem to go out faster if I set my pipes down at all. But, I remedy this by never setting the pipe down.
My largest bowl is one I had Dan Chlebove make for me. It clenches nicely, so I can more easily keep it lit.
I keep a range of bowl sizes. I mostly smoke tall narrow chambers, but I have a good selection of gauges and calibers in the arsenal. It's good to keep my options for various tactical situations. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pack a wider bowl a bit looser to keep the draw and airflow more open. The pipe will nearly smoke itself.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
This is a coincidence. Last night I smoked a bowl of Esoterica Margate in a wide bowl pot thinking it would allow the blend to “open up”. Wow, was I wrong. It killed it. The flavor went flat and it was constantly going out. Granted I’m still a newbie and experimenting with packing techniques. I usually don’t buy into all the complicated packing techniques and have developed a pack that just “feels right” and it works very well 99% of the time.
Going to try Embers (hey Cap!) advice next time as I don’t want to waste anymore precious Margate (only have 3/4 tin left).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a few extra large bowl pipes and others that just have broad bowls, but I've never had the relight problem. I do often dry out the tobacco pretty well, and pack somewhat tight (you need some air flow). Now and then, I do have relight frustrations, but not related to this, so far as I have noticed.

Yeh, the larger the bowl, the tighter you can pack it, because there is much more substantial airflow in a wider chamber than a more narrow one. It is the more narrow bowls that will give you issues with restricted flow. I have never had an issue with a wide chamber getting blocked or restricted at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I guess I would say the "broad chambered" pipes are pots, unless they are also deep, no?
RE: The Margate - All the Esotericas I've opened have an initial RH of over 90%, whereas good smoking levels are below 70%RH @ 70º. So lots of dying will help things along.

Status
Not open for further replies.