PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
We've all seen them, some pipe that either in the store or more likely on line that even though they a style you were looking but something made you stop and go "Wow" I've had that a few time recently. Some times we've stumbled across pipes that the carver did such a good job of capturing it in a new way, it made us appreciate his artistry. In other cases, it how they drawing out what was in the briar, you can't help but be impressed with their their Ken Barnes like ability to read the block and get the best from it.

This is one from Great Estate Pipes. Chance always does a beautiful job representing his pipes but this one just took my breath away.

1637958874434.png1637958902799.png1637958921436.png

These two Rolando's have really made me appreciate his late, great skill.
1637959813148.png

rolando.png

Then there is Michael Parks, who should never be allowed to touch another piece of briar. No because he isn't talented but because when you have superpowers, you should use them flying around the world stopping crime, not making pipes. These caught my eye (and most of you have seen them) years ago but they leave me in awe.
I'm not a volcano guy but I would be happy to have the Rolando and Parks on myself.

1637960429203.png

1637960470840.png

He calls this a Cavalier Winged Volcano. I call all his pipes a discouragement to would be carvers with low self esteem because when they seen it, they think "I'll never be that good" And 99.999% of them are right. The man sandblasted wings on a pipe! Come on now! I hope they are all in a museum.
1637960582825.png
1637960610651.png

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I saw a Nording Woodcock in a picture spread of upland gear in Pointing Dog Journal. That started the little snowball rolling down the mountain. Strange but true.

Reactions: shanez

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The Nording Hunter series are a great series to collect. Beautiful and most are not insanely priced.
I agree! Ended up with a few more, the Anniversary Hunter is great and the 2020 Cheetah is nice smoking! I thought I would like the Fox but just really didn’t the looks once I got it. Still brand new and may now gift to a friend locally for Xmas as a “secret Santa” of my own doing. He works for me and is a long time pipe smoker but he has no clue I’ve picked up the activity and will never know who gave it to him.

Reactions: shanez

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've seen pipes which made me think, "Wow! Nice execution but, that's an ugly piece of work." Outrageous, clumsy, to my eye, never results in a sale. Any pipe that has appealed to my eye, then passed the other criteria are sitting in my ashtray or on a rack in my home.

I'm waaaaay to conservative in my tastes to find any of the pipes above to be eye catching, even though I can admire the workmanship. that's why so many variations on a basic smoking tool are available. Everyone's eye is different.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've seen pipes which made me think, "Wow! Nice execution but, that's an ugly piece of work." Outrageous, clumsy, to my eye, never results in a sale. Any pipe that has appealed to my eye, then passed the other criteria are sitting in my ashtray or on a rack in my home.

I'm waaaaay to conservative in my tastes to find any of the pipes above to be eye catching, even though I can admire the workmanship. that's why so many variations on a basic smoking tool are available. Everyone's eye is different.
Clumsy is a very good word for pipes that look good but just don't make the cut

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

I'm totally with @warren on this !

I can admire the thought, design and execution of those pieces, but they fall into the "totally fanciful" category for me.

I'm more a Toyota rather than Bugatti sort of guy.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm totally with @warren on this !

I can admire the thought, design and execution of those pieces, but they fall into the "totally fanciful" category for me.

I'm more a Toyota rather than Bugatti sort of guy.

I am too but this isn't about pipes you would necessarily buy but pipes that are simply stunning in design, artistry and execution. Just because you drive a Toyota doesn't mean a Lambo can't take your breath away.

1638000155249.png

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think that art and functional pipes are sometimes confused. And there's nothing wrong in the least with the artistic side, I enjoy viewing them. I simply fall well into the functional side of things. With that said, thank goodness for the artists and those who push the envelope and have expanded on the traditional shapes. Otherwise, we'd all be smoking boring freaking smooth billiards

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm on the same side as @hoosierpipeguy ,the artistic side of these pipes is marvelous and can be appreciated, but as a smoking instrument I prefer a more practical shape. Not to knock of any one's artisticly shaped pipes they smoke.

So to answer the question, a well made straight grain or beautiful blasted traditional shape with a quality stem is something that stops me in my tracks.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'd rather have bangers and mash than nouveau cuisine
A few years ago I had a meal with a couple of friends in Singapore at a restaurant that was rated as the 3rd best in Asia at the time. Every dish was exquisitely presented and photo-worthy. It was also the most expensive meal I'd ever had at that point.

Spoke with those 2 friends recently about that meal - there was not a single dish any of us could recall the flavour of. On the other hand there were a few meals eaten at hawker stalls at a fraction of the cost that we remembered fondly.