PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I resumed smoking pipes about 12 years ago, I still thought in terms of their nations of origin, often being interested in buying a pipe from a nation not represented on my racks. Italian and French pipes still seem somewhat rooted in their nations, but Danish, English, and Canadian pipes seem to have farmed out manufacturing to other nations. At first this was kind of an affront. Sable reminded us, we can't trust the stamps for nation of origin. Now I'm more relaxed about this. Why fight the facts? But I no longer aspire to a Brigham pipe as a Canadian product, nor a Stawell as a Danish one. I guess I just like pipes, and like to keep track of where they are actually being manufactured. How about you? I like my Italian Stanwells.

Reactions: anotherbob

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I'm amused that Rattray's current production line has models that evoke over-the-top stereotypical Celt/Scots culture (with lines like "Angel's Share," "Dark Ale," "Highland," "Clan," and "Caledonia," among others) and the pipes are outsourced for production as far afield from Scotland (or the UK) to 'Butz-Choquin, Chacom, Gigi and Brebbia.'

Then there's Wessex, which is something akin to a French 'budget-conscious Ashton.'

Something about all this reminds me of Foster's beer...

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
I had similar thoughts when searching for a Canadian shape from a "local" shop in Canada. Which sounds hipster now that I read that back but I don't know, it's just something I'm interested in seeing for myself. I've seen offerings by other manufacturers but the dimensions are smaller or the proportions are off... Of course, Brigham came up many times but I was saddened to hear of their history and having to move production to Europe. Understandably, it was in order to survive in a dwindling pipe market back then so it is what it is.

Anyhow, I kept looking and found what might be the last Canadian pipe maker with roots similar to Brigham. They are a family business: Blatter & Blatter out of Montreal, Quebec (est. 1907). Hope to get a pipe from them one day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.