PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have 2 sandblasted BriarWorks c23 Lovat, one Dark and one brown. I also have 3 Peterson 999s in different finishes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife gave me a 673 one Christmas, and it is definitely worth owning two. D&R makes a two-burley toasted blend, that's twice toasted, that is called Two Timer, which otherwise would have made a good title for this thread.

Mar 1, 2014
The most notable examples I can think of are my pair of Brebbia Jumbo Bulldogs and some Savinelli super duper EX Lovats (not official name) that I keep in a padded case.
Buying cheap sandblast B-Line pipes from James Barber it’s always hard not to get duplicates since you never know what a blast is going to look like.
Then there was the time Smokingpipes had a bunch of 7” long Ropp Canadians for a very decent price... I bought six of them.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Not yet, but Stanwell's shape 83 is just perfect for me. I have a Royal Guard, a low end that I use as a beater pipe. It's a perfect clencher and a good smoker. I want another, preferably a sandblast with a metal accent.

I also want to duplicate my Savinelli 602 and 614, actually 9614, but it's the same thing, apparently. Punto Oro, here's looking at you, kid.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
When I first started building a rotation back in the 70's I wanted to try pipes from different makers. I tended to try a pipe of a particular brand and then if I really liked it, I'd get a second one. I guess that was to confirm my opinion.
For a while I ended up with two Caminettos, two GBDs, two Comoys, two Castellos and so on. Inevitably then I would move on to another maker and give them a try.
After my pipe buying slowed down a little I did start to fill in some more from favorite brands and then began buying estates.
With estate pipes I find it's a case of locating the right shape, finish and condition from a maker that may not even be in business anymore or where the current production is not the same quality as in bygone days. Consequently, those purchases have been a little more one off.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haha. I like this subject. I bought two Stanwell # 29’s. One is a Trio (a true beaut).

czGoUDb.jpg

The other 29 is a Brushed Brown I picked up for $20.
The other one is another Stanwell Trio #13 and you guessed it, I bought the same shape in the BB $20 deal.
If I could I would probably buy another 12 and 88. I just love Stanwell’s. They are inexpensive and they smoke like champs!
I’m also looking to buy another Savinelli but I don’t know the shape number, maybe y’all could help me out with this. It’s a Savinelli but it was made for a local b&m that no longer exists and it doesn’t have the number in the nomenclature. It was the first pipe I bought and I absolutely love it!
Here’s a pic:
56D5GkC.jpg

If anyone knows the shape number of this please do tell. I’ve been looking out for one (in a lazy manner, I basically only look at SmokingPipes) and I can’t seem to find this same shape, I’ve seen some that are close but no cigar.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The Savinelli looks to be a shape 626.

Thank you, it’s close but no cigar. It’s hard to tell from the photo but the shank on mine isn’t round, it’s more of a triangle that comes to three rounded points. I’ll see if I can find a better pic, if not I’ll take one.
Edit* I don’t know if this pic helps any but pay attention to the shank and stem:
ZwqezSn.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've got a rustic-looking hand-carved four pipe rack that I've thought would be cool to fill with four pipes of the same design with different finishes. I'll probably get around to it sometime, but not until I find a pipe I like so much that I feel the need to buy it again in lieu of trying something new. My Peterson 87 army mount fish tail is probably the top candidate so far.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
3 Peterson 303 spigots, smooth briar, 2 with red cumberland, all fishtail stems....produced in late 80's.
Looking for a nice older estate 302 spigot/fishtail (cumberland or black vulc.) Or a estate Lestrade (Petersons best looking pipe IMO)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Embers, you are right! Thank you, I just came back on here to share the news that London Calling on YouTube just had a new video up where he had the same pipe so I asked him what it was and he just replied that it was a 677 so low and behold I may have to buy one now that I’ve found it. Thank y’all!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm always surprised when I buy two similar pipes, and I usually get at least a different finish. I just ordered a MM/C&D collaboration cob, and I already have the Charlie Town version and the Dagner/MM collaboration poker. These have acrylic stems and all of the good MM cob characteristics. I treat them like permanent pipes, which they are to me, to go along with my regular mm cobs refitted with Forever stems. Certain blends smoke exceptionally well, better than ever, in a MM cob. Also I savor the Americana aspect. The one I ordered is named the Carolina Gentleman, and how could I resist that?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Certain blends smoke exceptionally well, better than ever, in a MM cob. Also I savor the Americana aspect.
Agreed! I was out kayaking yesterday on our local stream, and an unexpected summer rain shower popped up. I waited out the rain on a little gravel bar while sitting underneath the trunk of a very large sycamore leaning towards the river, accompanied by a Heineken and a MM cob full of Carter Hall. Though the rain ultimately cut my trip short and caused me to turn back when I heard thunder rolling in, the smoke under the sycamore was the highlight of the trip :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This thread as inspiration I thought I’d share my new “pipe so nice, I bought it twice”.
wbcCuEQ.jpg

5tIH1Ij.jpg

KOppZuW.jpg

xh6oeBc.jpg

I love this shape so much. I guess it’s cause it’s the first brand new pipe I ever bought but it also smokes so well and I love how it feels in the hand. I really like the idear of having a cap so I can easily pocket the pipe without getting a pocket full of ash! - “Rally round the family, with a pocket full of ash!”

Status
Not open for further replies.