PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I like that it's a hobby that is open to all, pretty much regardless of income level. You can get started with a cob, a pouch of some OTC, a pipe nail, and some cleaners for under $15. You could just stick with that if you want, or you could go all out and commission some artisan pipes and smoke top-shelf tobacco.

Picking out a pipe and a blend to smoke in it is a really personalized experience, more so than cigars. I love every step of the process of enjoying a pipe.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Harumph!

Pipe smoking is the best.

I sometimes surprise myself while enjoying a great smoke by suddenly and inadvertently saying “Goddamn I love smoking a pipe!”
The sheer joy of it just pulls the words from my brain to my mouth. I don’t even know I’m gonna say it.
❤️

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nah, see for me I do it for the pipe. I can get my tobacco other ways. Many Other ways. Like you!
For me a pipe is just a hands free means of smoking while working or focusing on yard work, hiking, mowing the lawn, etc.

Cheaper than cigs with better tobacco.
I get 3 cartons out of a pound of Three Sails for less than $30.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I agree. Of course smoking them, holding them, looking at them are all great. But I even enjoy the things others can find bothersome. Prepping plugs. “Planning” smokes in advance to allow for drying. I even enjoy cleaning my pipes. I’ve always been a fan of maintaining and babying my equipment, pipes or otherwise.

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
I vaped for awhile after the upper lobe on my right lung was removed. My nephew came down here with cigars. They weren’t cheap cigars, $8 - 15 apiece. Too rich for my blood. I settled on Phillies Titans $1 apiece. Still too expensive. My pipe collection laid idle for 40 years in a box until I thought to try a pipe. In the old days I smoked PA. So I bought a can of PA. After a week or two I started to really enjoy it. I discovered the true meaning of “pipe dream”. I sometimes become unconscious to my surroundings, transe like. The pleasure is nearly overwhelming. Yes I like pipes more than cigars

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
For taste i would only smoke cigars, but the pipe, as an object, has an irresistible charm. After each smoke I clean it and then hold it in my hand, looking at it, until it cools down... and beyond.

Reactions: anotherbob