PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
at 18 it's time to man-up and come clean.. bet $100 they already know you do. take a seat on the porch/patio/deck whatever and ask your old man if he ever tried a pipe.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
The trouble with lying or being embarrassed about the pipe is that your hesitation comes off as an acknowledgement of wrong doing. I do not think smoking a pipe is something to be embarrassed about. I found that owning my new hobby and being excited about it helped my parents understand that it was an okay pastime.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I can't stand it when grown ass men and woman (18 and up) hide things from their folks. I smoke pot. I have since I was 17 and I am 24 now. I hid it from them for the first year, and then they found out. Notably, it was pretty heated when they first discovered my new eh hem... "Hobby". But I believed it to be well within the confines of acceptable human behavior, regardless of its legal status, and still do. I make this painfully clear to my mom and dad whenever it's brought up today. The point is I want my parents to know I respect them as adult human beings and not the overseers of all my decisions. We TALK about it like adults. After all, they are, and so am I. I have friends who've been smoking pot longer than I have, they have parents as perceptive and respectable as mine, and yet, if asked "Are you stoned?" They reply with a fearful lie. They are my friends, but they need to man up. Jeez man, don't take it personally, but if your parents are smokers and you're of legal age there is absolutely NO reason why you should be asking for advice on this subject on a message board. They're YOUR parents, YOU know them, WE don't. This is one of my pet peeves, (adults hiding minor infractions- if you can even call it that, from other adults who love them, for an imagined reason) so bear with me if I sound like a dick.

corrine

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
lostandfound I needed that. My parents are very attached and it is taking them a while to realize that ,yes in fact I am an adult. I told my mother tonight and she was suitably shocked that I was smoking and even more so a pipe. She stated that "that's even worse!" To which I replied that my pipe is filtered just like my cigarettes. She said she was shocked but appreciated my honesty. She also said that my father would not take it well that his own little girl who hated cigarette smoke was now a legal pipe smoker. So all in all not as horrid I expected. Hoping there are no aftershocks.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Lost
I think your being a little harsh with Corrine
Owning up to your parents at this age can be tough; growing up is tough enough
Her asking for advice here is totally understandable as many of us have faced the same challenge one way or another
Corrine

Congrats to you for telling your mother. True, your father may be more difficult but the sooner you do it the better it ill be for you
Good luck

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
If mom knows, then you shouldn't feel guilty anymore. Wait to tell your father until the time is right. It can be difficult for parents to see you as an adult while you are still living under their roof. I had a friend in college who lived in the same town as the college we attended and lived with her parents at first. After the first semester of this, she ended up moving into a dorm on campus.
A major part of the reasoning was that her parents still treated like a child / as if she was still in high school when she was an adult and going to college. It is going to take time for them to come around and see you as an adult, and its going to take time for you to explore what being an adult means to you.
I think it is amazing that you have the kind of relationship with your parents that allows you to live under their roof while you are in college and legally an adult. You must have been doing something right to maintain that kind of relationship, and you probably know best how to continue to maintain it. Happy smoking!

corrine

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I was a good kid growing up and tried not to cause my parents any grief. Of the three of us I was the only one to graduate with Honors and without a bad report to my name. I was always mature in who I hung out with and the things I got involved in. This has been a weight lifted and now I can concentrate on more important things.

corrine

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
One last note. My mother talked to my father and they have accepted my smoking as long as I do it outside the home. They wish I had never started but are fine with it as long as they don't have to see it

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats Corrine on 'fessing up and glad it worked out. There's also some good info out there on pipe smoking being far better for you than cigarettes (contrary to gov't warnings).
There's fewer to no chemicals and most pipe smokers don't inhale. As well, a 1964 Surgeon General's report stated that pipe smokers live longer than non-smokers. And there are other hidden benefits, like stress reduction, etc.
Hope you'll stick around the forums, we have other female pipesmokers here and all are very welcome.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Glad things worked out Corrine. It's often difficult to come clean when you're unsure of the consequences, but if their is one thing I've learned throughout my life it's honesty is the best policy. There is nothing worse than having the ones you love lose trust in you. The consequences of almost any action or decision are easier to deal with than mistrust. Take this situation as a lesson for the future and now enjoy your pipe like its meant to be enjoyed, worry free. Glad you came here for advice and hope to see you post here more as you progress in the hobby. There is lots to be learned and enjoyed when it comes to pipe smoking. Any questions you might have can and will be answered here with open arms.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'm glad they've decided to accept it. Perhaps they'll come around to having you join them in the basement. I hope you are able to find a nice place to enjoy your pipe. Maybe you have a local pipe club?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
If you give it time, they will eventually get used to it. My dad never really cared to begin with, but my mom wasn't really ok with it until fairly recently. She used to always hassle me about my smoking, but has now stopped.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I'm with Uberam3rica on this, time will be the key. If you do any of the cooking around the house you might make a meal and have it ready for them say on the weekend if your mom doesn't work then. After the meal and you clean up it would more than likely be a time when they would seek the basement then you can join them after clean up and just chit chat. Then excuse yourself telling them you're heading outside to have a pipe then get up and go. I'm sure after this happens a few more times dad will see his little girl has grown into a fine woman, best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.