PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Cortez - Yes they do. I buy tins whenever I can. I've got a nice little stock pile going. :D

mlb55

Lurker
Nov 15, 2016
P&C never did straighten out my multiple orders from IPSD weekend last February, in spite of multiple promises to do so. I eventually gave up.
I also got a pipe that I didn't care for in person that I entered a request to return. They closed out my message without a response. I'll probably give that pipe away at some point. I doubt it would ever taste good to me.
So, good luck!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I'm sorry you had those problems mlb55. That was a horrible period around here. If you want to contact me at russo@pipesandcigars.com or 800-494-9144x254, I will do everything I can to make it up to you.

The stock issues are improving every week. We have a new buyer who is ordering more frequently and has been instructed to order deeper. The problems with the system early in the year prevented us from properly being able to forecast what we needed, Our in-stock has improved by about 15% in the last 6 weeks and I expect that it will continue to get better.
Russ

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I recently ordered 2 1/2 pound bulk blends and it arrived without difficulty about 1 week later. While not my usual place to order lately, ordered from them because the place I had been getting my blends from didn't have 1 of them in stock & P&C did.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've received three small orders from PC since the difficult reboot on their online retailing. All have gone well, timely and properly packed, and the right items. This was a selection of pouch tobacco, a tub of tobacco, and a Tsuge "tasting pipe" at an excellent sale price. I'd used PC long since in the past with okay results. One tin arrived slightly dented but with no effect on the product. Like the rest of us, I am an admirer of Russ' blending -- Fire Storm, Chestnut, Log Cabin and on and on.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Russ is keeping the agenda focused on tobacco, and I like that.
That Fire Storm looks delicious also.

mlb55

Lurker
Nov 15, 2016
I'm sorry you had those problems mlb55. That was a horrible period around here. If you want to contact me at russo@pipesandcigars.com or 800-494-9144x254, I will do everything I can to make it up to you.
I appreciate the offer and hold no personal grudge, but I'll pass. I gave up and moved on some months ago and I don't feel like digging up all the details again.
Considering the things I received that I didn't order, the monetary loss was fairly small (~$50) and I was willing to write that off just to be done with the saga.
I'm not saying I will never shop at P&C again, but it won't be my first choice.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It seemed to bother you enough to complain about it. But not enough to let Russ help you out? Then I guess that you are done complaining, too.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I've ordered quite a few times since the disaster, with mostly good results. I had two times that results were not great. One was while they were still trying to play catch up, and they fixed it. The other was never fixed, but I came out on the winning end anyway.
I'd say, you should be fine.

Jan 8, 2013
Personally, Pipes and Cigars was I think the first place I ordered from when I began smoking a pipe. After that, most of my business was split between them and Smoking Pipes. Who ever had the better deal at any time or something I wanted is where I shopped. So really, if everything is getting taken care of, I'm actually quite excited that I'll be able to jump between my two favorite sites again without having to worry about what might happen to my order. Like I said, Russ is the main reason I decided to give them another go. Many times, I've seen him post on this forum to try to make things right for somebody or sombodies. That showed me that he really gives a damn about the business and the customers that do business with them. He's gone above and beyond for P&C many times.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Im on the fence about ordering from Pipes and Cigars again after two big issues in the last month. I never jumped on the "hate p and c" bandwagon. Even went back after the IPSD fiasco; mistakes happen and they seemed eager to fix it. And I agree - seeing Russ post here and help members out gave me confidence in the site again. (Russ you are great and your blends are excellent!)
First, some rare tobacco came in stock during the big "crazy" sale, and I ordered a handful of tins, using the discount code. Items were in stock when I ordered them. The order then sat... and sat...and sat. Until one day a few weeks later I received an email saying "we are no longer be allowing backorders on this pipe tobacco. Consequently, your backorder has been canceled". I replied and said it was IN STOCK when I ordered it, it was NOT a back order. No resolve.
Next I ordered 11 tins of C & D Carolina Red Flake for my brother and I to split. My credit card was charged for the full amount and the box shipped in a timely fashion. When It arrived there was 2 tins in the box. I waited to a few days to see if I would get a credit or an email, or a second box. Nothing. I finally emailed customer service and asked. They replied with " We filed a claim for the missing item. If it is found that we missed the item in shipping, the claim will end there. If we determine everything was in the order when it shipped, the carrier may be in contact with you about the package. " Filed a claim..with who? Your own company? Why would "the carrier" have the rest of my tins? So cryptic. THey did refund my credit card, but I had to ask them to do it. If I had just assumed I was only charged for the two tins Id be out $80.
Im not mad actually, just very very disappointed. It wouldn't have mattered as much if the first order wasnt for super rare tobacco, and the second for tobacco that was a limited run and is now sold out for good, ( i think).

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I will continue to use P&C as one of my sources. When they have the best deals on the baccy I want they will get my business. I have had mistakes on orders and some damaged tins in the past but every time I had an issue it was resolved to my satisfaction. I've had similar issues with other vendors and those were resolved as well. P&C has made some great improvements recently with packaging and logistics. I can't fault them for stuff that's out of stock and I appreciate that you can order backordered items when they are on sale. The people I have spoke to on the phone at P&C have been very pleasant and accommodating, especially Sal. If I can remember the name of a customer service guy after a year or longer they must be really good or really bad, Sal is great.

harveymushman

Lurker
Jun 27, 2017
I can't fault them for stuff that's out of stock
Why would anyone? I think what Jravenwood is saying is that hes faulting them for the website stating items were shown as "in stock" being charged for them, and then the items not actually being in stock. Then having to ask for his money back rather than P&C straightening out on their end.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
From what I can see, someone at P&C took some bold steps and now everything is cocooned in bubble wrap and braced with those inflatable collision bumper things.
Agreed, the new method of wrapping tins at P&C is very secure. The cocoon pockets are quite clever and effective.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Other than packaging issues in the past, I've had pretty good success with P&C. With any company that see's high volumes of business there is going to be some hiccups along the way, but P&C has always made things right in my experience. P&C is not my first option when ordering, because they don't ship tobacco to Washington State, so I tend to shop at other places that will ship to Washington. However, if a good deal presents itself I'll place an order and have it shipped to my brother in Oregon.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've had nothing but good service from P&C, although I fully understand that may be a complete anomaly. Mistakes happen, but to me the measure of customer service lies in what happens next. Ravenswood's story is distressing, and when I hear stories from forum members that I know and respect about P&C's customer service being non-responsive or obfuscating, I have to give a big WTF?. But when Russ responds directly to a customer concern and that customer declines his help, I have to give an even bigger WTF.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I agree the decline to accept help to make it right is a little odd. I see Russ's info, perhaps ill email him, although I dont want to be presumptuous and im sure he has a lot on his plate.

Oct 7, 2016
I do not doubt some of the horror stories I have heard about Pipes and Cigars in the many threads that have appeared here for many months and even on various Facebook threads. My experience dealing with other companies in other lines of retail on the internet has consistently been that once something starts off with a mistake, it almost takes divine intervention to fix it.
In that regard, I have received excellent telephone customer support with the two orders that I have had problems with, one last summer and another this summer extending into the fall since a backorder situation was involved. The second situation was kind of a puzzler, as once the issue was identified, it took multiple attempts to rectify the problem. I think I made 4 calls in all to Customer support, and all were handled professionally. Ultimately, the order had to be completely rewritten and put into the system as a new order with the rep going through some convoluted way to get the original price right, which she did, and I eventually got the products I desired at the price I had locked in (McClelland bulks at 25% off).
I have never even tried email customer support with PCI, and that is true of my preference with any business. Since I have ample tobacco on hand to smoke, I can be patient.
But I do understand that ceasing to do business with PCI is a valid and justifiable response. I would encourage those who have taken this stance to hold firm, and continue to air their complaints in every availabile forum. Shout them from the rooftops! Maybe that way the backorder situation will at least not get any worse. (insert insipid emoticon)

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Well, yes a company can and should be faulted for being out of stock. Not just P&C, but any company. Their business is to sell things. If they show them, especially sale items, they should be in stock. Period. Russ has explained that they are making changes in regard to this. If a company doesn't have the sense or money to stock sufficient amounts of product, they shouldn't show that product as being for sale. Period.

Common sense isn't common anymore.
When was the last time you stopped at a filling station and they were out of gas? Would you do business with that station when the one across the street has full tanks? I bet not. The current 'just in time' nonsense is just that. If you can't make that work, then you need to stock like it used to be done... Stock more than you expect to sell in a given period. Not rocket surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.