PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
For the curious, there is still an old-fashioned pipe shop in Paris, "A la Pipe du Nord", if you type on "online sale" and "other pipes" you can still find 2-3 pipes Jeantet covered with leather as once not too expensive ...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can often find Longchamp, and Savinelli Cricket pipes fairly inexpensive around the net as well.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Or you can buy this overpriced pipe for $2,000 https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/todd-johnson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=255647

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those tightly stitched leather covers were "the thing" back in the fifties, what you wanted as you puffed on the commuter platform waiting to board the smoking car.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Man, I thought this thread was headed in a different direction!
leather.jpg

:rofl:
jay-roger.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You don't seem to understand that because Todd Johnson made the pipe he imbued a $50.00 block with the special magic that multiplies its value by twenty. By block the escalation of price by brand and maker becomes laughable. smokingpipes seems to start prices at $350.00 for any artisan pipe they carry, so by maker that escalation is more than six times, which deserves more than a chuckle. I don't see anything that justifies such prices beyond consumer myopia, marketing and greed. If Chris Askwith and Jimmy Craig Ashtons are more than adequate pipes, wherefore the cachet, and prices, of the pipe royalty?
myopia

marketing

greed
myopia

marketing

greed

etc., etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These were the coolest accessory to go with your narrow lapel suit, narrow tie, and narrow snap brim fedora. You were ready to do business. Like all fashion, it will all come back around. I can hear them shuffling around in the garment district and at St. Claude already.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
These were the coolest accessory to go with your narrow lapel suit, narrow tie, and narrow snap brim fedora. You were ready to do business. Like all fashion, it will all come back around. I can hear them shuffling around in the garment district and at St. Claude already.
Awesome! I'll have my leather covered meerschaum line medico ready to go! Strange little pipe, but a fun smoker, even has a stringer, they went all out on it.
To the OP, I couldn't find a pipe shop I was impressed with when I was in Paris recently, I would be wary of a modern pipe having a leather cover...I would immediately think they were hiding a major flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.