PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
What is the most effective way of removing the wax finish from a bowl? The finsh used on my pipe seems to be laughing at everclear. Is this a long process that requires a lot of elbow grease? Never tried this before so little unsure.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
If the finish has a bubble in it, it sounds like a varnish or shellac rather than a wax.

Especially if it is "laughing at everclear."

You may have to sand it off and just refinish the pipe.

Some of the others on the site could give you recommendations about grits and procedures.
A good picture might help.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I would say either use sand paper to take the finish off or use nail polish remover. If you use the nail polish remover, make sure to let your pipe dry for a good 24 hours!

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for the input yeah all the everclear did was remove the finsh where the bubbles were concentrated did nothing on getting rid of the shellac. now to see if i have some fine grit sandpaper lol.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
A good picture is rather difficult for me as i have a rather bad camera lol, fortunately ive managed with the nail polish remover to get about half of the bad finish off so far. Its suprisingly stubborn to remove.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Well step one is finished now to let it dry for a day or two to get rid of any acetone.
barewoodpipe023.jpg

barewoodpipe024.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If alcohol wouldn't take it off it was some kind of varnish. Probably a poly. Sehllac is soluble in in alcohol.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah i love the shape as well. Now the question is whether i should order some alcohol soluable stain. Or apply wax as is and leave it bare wood.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Ive never had a natural wood colored pipe think I may make this one my first XD.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I sometimes use 0000 steel wool to remove the lacquer/varnish. Soaking the steel wool with alcohol seems to speed up the process.Using the steel wool doesn't take off as much of the stain if you want to keep the original color.Since most lacquered pipes are not sanded real smooth-the reason for the lacquer/varnish is to make them shine without a lot of sanding-the steel wool will actually make the surface smoother than the factory made it--most of the time.Micro-Mesh can be used to finish up and make it shine if you don't have a buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.