PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Concerning long smoke competition. To have an even playing field the same pipe must be used by each smoker, I get that. I've always wondered..... What tobacco/mixture/blend is used and just to make it more interesting who chooses the tobacco? The contest/club event sponsor(s) or a majority vote of the contestants based on a pre-made list of possible tobaccos?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Intersting question.
Would be halarious if you entered a competition and the tobacco bites you... but you want to keep puffing because you want to win!
But alas, I know not.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The competition club supplies it. Voting would be a fiasco.
The IASPC (International Association of Pipe Smokers Clubs), which has been doing competitions for over 60 years, still uses a blend formulated by Paul Spaniola of Paul's pipe Shop in Flint, MI. I think some other groups use a blend formulated by C and D specifically for comps.
When I smoked in comps done by the IASPC, everyone supplied their own pipes.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for the information. I didn't think contestants could use just any pipe of their choice as some could take unfair advantage just by size of bowl alone. But then again smoking technique would in the end be the major factor. :puffpipe:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When you have a serious competition like Chicago. Then pipes, tobacco, matches, (ask Kevin about the matches) :nana: and tamper are provided.

When you have a local, (at least at The Briary) it's a run whatcha' brung, and matches are supplied.... but only 3 grams of tobacco. But, believe me even the local can get very serious.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
NASPC used to have slow smoking competitions at their annual show but they cancelled them years ago. I would love to attend one, just never have had the chance.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Seems like typical pipe smoking community. Rules depend on who you're smoking with. So why didn't I figure this out before I posted? Vapor lock of the brainspace? 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.