Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2015
Prior to having this issue, I'd been regularly pipe smoking but had stopped because I went to England for a couple weeks (honeymoon.) During our time there, my wife and I visited a pipe shop and I purchased a pipe the shop made with a tin of Planta's Presbyterian Mixture. I tried to smoke it once, but the taste was awful. I was used to blends with Latakia, but this tasted nothing like it.
Once we got back home, I tried to smoke my Peter Stokkebye English Luxury a few times, and I'd get the same bad taste no matter which pipe I used.
I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar experience or knows the cause and cure for this.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Tastes do change. I've had the same thing happen with lats and just stopped smoking them for awhile till I felt like trying again. There are so many other blends out there for you to try that this shouldn't be an impediment to your smoking pleasure at all. Just jar them up and wait for the right time.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never experienced terrible tasting tobacco. Unpleasant maybe, terrible? No. I'm wondering about your cleaning and resting of the pipes. Just a stab in the dark. The new pipe might just need to break in. Or, well I'm out of ideas.

smoketime

Lurker
Aug 2, 2014
I used to smoke mainly English and Balkan blends - the more Latakia, the better. Then years ago I came down with a bad case of pneumonia. It was an awful experience, took a year for my lungs to heal and re-gain their capacity, and for another year after that I didn't smoke anything at all, didn't have any desire to and never thought I would. I was considering selling all my pipes and tobacco, and decided to try some out again just to make sure. Strangely enough, the English blends I used to love so much tasted just awful - nothing at all like I used to experience them. I love the way they smell when others smoke them, but something about the Latakia just tastes so strange when I smoke it. It just reads wrong to me. Now, fortunately, the Virginias and Burleys that used to seem so subtle and underwhelming to me now taste amazing. Now I'm a fool for Vapers and Vaburs. Burley was especially off putting to me pre-pneumonia, but now I crave it and can't seem to get enough. It's just weird. It's like my palate was re-calibrated through the course of that illness and time spent healing. Once in a while I'll try something with some Latakia in it, and it's not as strange, but still not great. Maybe some day it will be ok again, but for now I'm happy exploring this new world. I'd say give some blends without Latakia a try. Maybe you've experienced a similar shift. Or yeah, maybe your pips just need a good cleaning.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I used to love licorice as a kid, and today the faintest flavor of it makes me gag and spit, so year, tastes change.

Consider it a blessing as most female friends and my wife find latakia to smell absolutely horrendous and it sticks.

Enjoy enjoying your pipe and generating appealing scents while doing so.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I loved American English blends, ala Epiphany, Morleys Best, etc. Smoked them like no tomorrow. Then one day... BAM, just didn't taste good to me anymore. I can't do Lats, they just don't agree with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.