Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
In my haste to get to work today I failed to remember that I'd taken my trio of truck cobs out of my console to give them a good cleaning. This left me in the unenviable position of having three pouches and a tin of tobacco on hand, but not a thing to smoke them in. Shades of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" there.
I had resigned myself to getting through the day on Copenhagen alone, without my customary lunchtime smoke, when I saw my buddy rolling himself a smoke. Well, desperation can lead a man to try some new things. I got him to roll me a couple John Bull "cigarettes".
Terrible idea. The paper burned much faster than the relatively moist tobacco, and imparted an awful overtone. Even managed to drown out the small amount of latakia present in the blend.
Has anyone else tried this? How'd it work for you?

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
I concur- you need a shag cut that's dry for it to work. Dark bird's eye was always a winner.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I wonder if a coffee grinder could chop the tobacco into small enough bits to roll into a cigarette?

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
I will sometimes finely cut up some Nightcap with scissors and roll it in Zig-Zag ultra-thin paper. When I first tried this, I expected disaster, but it turned out great. I smoke 4 or 5 of these a month. Make sure your tobacco is on the dry side or you will have much regret.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I've resorted to these a couple of times, when I can't smoke a pipe at work. Didn't go too well, I must say. A rather wet aromatic, burnt hotter than hell. And was finished in about two minutes.

(Plus - I can't roll to save my life...)

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Five Brothers and the venerable old Prince Albert make for fine roll ups. I see these two tobaccos as multi purpose.
Rolling has a lot of technique, and personal preferences, much like smoking a pipe. Experimenting would help you find what works for you, much like a pipe.
Hand rolling Five Brothers (no filter, no little rolling machine) is an experience. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery... :D
I'm intrigued by someone chopping up Nightcap and rolling smokes out of it. I kind of want to try... 8O

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
I smoke American Spirit ryo and recently tried just sprinkling a little bit of bulk pipe tobacco on the A.S. It adds a nice touch without killing the nice cig tobacco burn.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
I'm intrigued by someone chopping up Nightcap and rolling smokes out of it. I kind of want to try... [8O]
I really works much better than you might think. Just make sure that your Nightcap is drier than you would smoke in a briar. Going to have one right now.
4512.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I bet Samois would make a great cig and it's already dry and cut into springy ribbons.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I used to do that on the odd occasion with Condor RR and a Rizla red paper but I was younger in those days. You actually can do it with Prince Albert as I have seen it done but again I cannot imagine how that stuff would burn.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
:rofl:

Brother, it's a good thing you're not a doper. You'd be that guy who would think, "I wonder if I could shoot up Jif peanut butter." :lol:

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
The thought never crossed my mind. I feel like I have to try this with a few blends.

johnnie

Lurker
May 21, 2014
I've crafted some fairly serviceable rollies with PS Luxury Navy Flake and a dab of Lane BLWB in a zig zag orange. Rub the hell out of it and press it in a paper towel to pull out the excess moisture.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Yesterday I chopped up some Nightcap with scissors and let it sit in a hot garage for about an hour. Felt pretty crispy so I rolled it up in an orange Zig Zag. It may have been the best tasting cigarette I've ever had. Maybe it was the dryness, but I wouldn't have described it as a lat bomb, which I feel Nightcap is. Very smooth. I very rarely inhale pipe smoke but couldn't resist and it was not harsh at all like I had expected it to be. Very creamy. I wonder what the cost/cigarette is for Nightcap smokes. I'd probably do it again but more for the novelty of the experience if anything.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Once when I was in college, a fella down the hall was desperate for a cig, but was out -and there was no one to mooch from. I loaned him some Flying Dutchman, which is what I was smoking then. He was out of papers, so he used some notebook paper. Said it was the worst smoke he ever had. :rofl:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
PS Amsterdam for me. Very strong and flavorful. However, I remain firm in having quit cigarettes; quit since 9/13. I like them but they are hell to pay for my body.

Status
Not open for further replies.