PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It's surprising how many folk list Opinel knives on this thread, though I shouldn't really be surprised as I used to use my Opinel #9 (carbon) for cutting plugs.

Those blades have and retain an amazing edge though I doubt the S/S versions would be quite the same.

Jay.

Reactions: BCF and bent1

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
For scraping out your pipe you don't want to use a sharp knife with a sharp point. You risk damaging the pipe. This is one of those rare cases where something cheap and low quality can work better than expensive and high quality. I've showed this before, but for those who missed it this is an old folder from the 70s, that I bought years ago for almost nothing. I've dulled the edge so as not to nick the inside of the bowl and create a spot for a burnout to start. And I rounded the tip so I can dig at the bottom of the bowl without worrying about damage. It has served me well for decades. One of these days I think I'll have to clean it.... puffy

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Speak Easy

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Nothing fancy but Ive my Grandfathers Old pocket knife and an EDC left by the previous owners of my house. I found it while clearing out the garage. Both take an edge fast. I just touched them up this morning. I tened to use the EDC for plugs. The larger size helps.

k.jpg

Reactions: Speak Easy

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I tened to use the EDC for plugs. The larger size helps.
For chopping/cube cutting little flakes I’ll use any sharp knife in reach, and keep a razor blade with my prep stuff.
The large nakiri/cleaver I had my buddy make is for sizing full flakes like GH&Co bulk for jars, and large plugs like theirs-having a straight blade with a slightly rounded edge tip, along with full clearance of my knuckles to cutting surface was important to me to manage large hard blocks (or logs) in the future.