PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Looks good to me, I use cigar boxes to store opened pouch tobaccos as well. I recommend going to a craft store and getting a piece of blue fabric, cut it to size, and glue it to the bottom of the box. Spray adhesive works best. As "proper" as pipe storage needs to be, it will also prevent any scuffing of your briars.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Before joining the site I used to store my pipes in my tobacco cans.

Since my PAD took a firm hold I’ve used a regular kitchen drawer divider insert for knives, spoons forks.
1683279663431.jpeg
Later, I’ve used a Cigar Humidors as well.
1683279745313.jpeg
And of late, a two-tiered sunglasses case. These are in expensive and perfect for pipe collections.
1683279833681.jpeg
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA

MGAOKC

Might Stick Around
Oct 2, 2022
OKC OK
I have an old cabinet I took out of a house being renovated.
Cleaned and painted it before hanging on the wall by my smoking chair.
Have around 40 pipes in it.
Peterson and Savinelli on bottom 2 rows.
Meerschaum, other pipes and cobs on top row.
Like to keep them in boxes and out of the sun light.

Attachments

• F7BEC735-A049-43B7-B501-84407CBDF894.jpeg
    F7BEC735-A049-43B7-B501-84407CBDF894.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 21

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
This post reminds me of an important lesson.

This wonderful thing called pipe smoking doesn't have to be fancy, complex or overthought. It's easy to get caught up in the various accessories, and think that you need them.

My thanks to the seasoned pipers out there who remind us that pipe smoking is as simple or complex as you want it to be and there is no right or wrong. Whether it's a gold plated pipe rack with a crystal ashtray; or a cardboard box with a glass salsa jar.

There is only what you like or prefer.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Jmango

Lurker
Jun 28, 2022
I wrestled with this for years. Years I say... I bought racks, cabinets, twin racks and wound up selling them all. Total Goldie locks syndrome as everything I saw or bought was always "almost" right for me, but left something lacking that my OCD just couldn't get past.

Being a woodworking hobbyist, I decided to take on the task of building my own rack, and I've not looked back once since as what I made was exactly what I saw on my eyelids while falling asleep at night. I started with the first rack pictured, which holds 104 briars, but although I accounted for "what" I wanted, I unfortunately hadn't looked down the road a ways at the frequency of my pipe purchasing habit. ...and then there was the "where do I put my pipe weed" dilemma...

Fast forward to a hell of an undertaking and I built the updated rack and matching tobacco cabinet base and spend my evenings gazing upon it. My handler also admires it and appreciates how I took a pipe habit and turned it into an attractive conversational piece in our barroom... This rack has 192 capacity, which I've filled at this point, but that is ok - it does get to a point of being over the top, even from starting out as over the top, and those pipes go into a small shelf pipe rack in the same room.

Maybe some day, I'll press the 104 pipe rack back into service, but for now, it remains in idle storage... Anyhow, I hope this gives someone an idea to solve this awful affliction from which we all suffer... :)

Cheers.

IMG_0722.jpeg

IMG_5201.jpegIMG_5198.jpegIMG_5196.jpegIMG_5200.jpeg