PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Does anyone store their pipes in the garage? Just wondering if the extreme weather affects the briar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you are dealing with extreme heat and cold and lots of humidity I would not keep them in the garage. If you live in a temperate climate it should not be a problem. I live in Florida and could never leave my pipes in the garage as the heat and humidity would do some serious damage I believe.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
What he said.
I don't know if you would call my pipe that stays in my truck year round storage but I have never had a problem with it being in there. It gets hot, it gets cold, kids spill drinks on it it goes threw a beating for sure. It has even been thrown out the window, to go and find it months later. Pipes are pretty tough.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, your climate is the key. Utah/AZ they might be OK but I think summer might be tough on vulcanite stems? Here in Maryland, the winter months would be too cold. This is something I have to tell my wife every couple of months when she complains about my pipes in the dining room.... (it gets used 2x's year for holiday dinners..)

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I live in Northern California. The winters are mild, 40s for the low. No humidity here. But my concern is the summer months. There are days when we reach 105 degrees. I have converted the one car garage to be my "man cave". I have insulated the walls so hopefully that helps. I guess I will just have to monitor the temperature inside the garage.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I'm also in norcal. So yes the temp swing here can be rediculous but if indoors I wouldn't think much of it. Would obviously recommend keeping them away from sitting in the sun by a window or such but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

docrof

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
VERY IMPT. INFORMATION TO NEW PIPE GUYS !!
DO NOT store pipes with vulcanite mouth pieces in Daylight(pipe racks or any where).. Daylight causes severe oxidation of the vulcanite mouth pieces and turns them GREEN. This oxidation, if severe is very very difficult or impossible to polish or even buff off. I think it also gives the mouth piece a terrible taste.

Store your pipes out of daylight as in drawers or closests. For me this makes Pipe display racks a no-no.
Interestingly enough, most of the older and highly expensive pipes(Dunhill, Charatan,Comoy,) were made exclusively with the rubber-base vulcanite mouth pieces at least through the 90s. The more modern

American, Italian, and Danish pipes are made often with Lucite which is harder, a little thicker, and doesnt turn GREEN when left out in the light. My god there is nothing uglier than a beautiful old high value estate pipe with a dull vomit green mouth piece and they are very very difficult to clean and buffing can obliterate other significant pipe markings. Also if the Pipe looks dull green one can anticipate a sour smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.