PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bikes&Briar

Lurker
Mar 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
www.youtube.com
Huge variations. Five minutes outside in Vegas may turn tobacco to crumbly unsmokeable. A half hour outside in Alabama in the Summer may increase the moisture to such you can't light it.

Then there's the time of year, cut, original moisture level, how it's spread out and no doubt, more variables.
With all the variables, it definitely keeps you thinking. It’s far from simple cigarette smoking where you just pop it in your mouth and light. I guess that’s part of why it’s so intriguing.

Reactions: Browny and jpmcwjr

hasser

Lurker
Jul 28, 2023
Pipe smoking is a relaxing and enjoyable hobby, but it requires some skill and practice to get the most out of it. Here are some tips that I have learned over the years:

- Choose a pipe that fits your hand and mouth comfortably. A briar pipe is a good choice for beginners, as it is durable and easy to maintain.
- Choose a tobacco that suits your taste and mood. There are many types and blends of pipe tobacco, from mild aromatics to strong English mixtures. Experiment with different ones until you find your favourites.
- Pack your pipe properly. A loose pack will cause the tobacco to burn too fast and hot, while a tight pack will make it hard to draw. Aim for a medium pack that allows some air to flow through the tobacco.
- Light your pipe evenly and gently. Use a match or a soft flame lighter, and avoid scorching the rim of the bowl. Draw slowly and steadily, and tamp the ash occasionally to keep the tobacco burning.
- Enjoy your pipe at your own pace. Don't puff too hard or too often, as this will make the smoke harsh and bitter. Sip the smoke and savour the flavour and aroma. Relax and have fun!

Reactions: Templekeeper

ZaysPiping

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
Gastonia, NC
So when u puff on the pipe, Do u have ur throat open? I started tasting the tobacco way more after this and retrohale was easier have I finally found the right way to smoke a pipe?

Last edited: