Pipe Smoking Image--Old vs. Young, Eccentric, Nostalgic or Strange????

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
I am a fairly new pipe smoker, I will be 19 on Monday and I don't know anyone even close to my age that smokes pipes. Both my grandfathers did and my dad smoked cigars but it is rare that I see anyone smoking them. I live in Ireland and while the 'hipster' trend is growing here too, I have yet to see one smoking a pipe, something I am very grateful for as I do not want people thinking that is why I smoke it xD. All of my family and friends who know I smoke the pipe do call me an old man and there does seem to be some stigma about new pipe smokers these days. Hopefully the art of pipe smoking doesn't die away, as I am still young there are still so many pipes and so much tobacco I want to experience. But with the dying trends and the health warnings and laws banning tobacco I am very worried for the future. I feel like I will not get the full experience and by the time I am as old as my grandfather was when I saw him smoking I don't think it will be as easy to enjoy the art. :c So my only option is to embrace it, even though I am young I don't know how long it will last so I gotta make the most of it :D (Just realised I pretty much repeated myself xD) Rob

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Interesting thread going here. A pretty strong trend seems to be the association between pipe smoking and an older generation of men - and between pipes and hipsters (or aspiring hipsters). I guess my perceptions of the images connected with pipe smoking are a little different. As a young kid, I encountered a lot of pipe and cigar smokers whom I didn't really peg to any particular generation or social category. Like quite a few pipe guys, I had a beloved grandpa who smoked pipes; his pipe was really a personal signature, and he smoked it all the time - like so many men of his generation. I also remember my dad smoking pipes and cigars (somewhat irregularly) through my childhood and adolescence. Quite a few of his coworkers and friends, along with extended family members his age, enjoyed pipes and cigars, as well. Thinking back, I just had a sense that certain men gravitated toward cigar or pipe smoking (in contrast to smoking cigarettes, which always seemed like an ordinary and unpleasant habit). My grandpa and my dad enjoyed their pipes while working and socializing; I remember that they smoked cigars mainly on special occasions. Another strong memory is how taking up pipe smoking seemed to pass from pipe-smoking fathers to their sons.
A few things that always drew me toward pipe smoking were the ritual, the pleasant aroma of pipe smoke, the look of a good quality pipe, and the slow and deliberate process of savoring a bowl of quality tobacco. A man smoking a pipe just seemed relaxed and easygoing. I remember spending time with my grandpa and my dad (especially during periods when he smoked pipes): I'd observe carefully, enjoy the scent of the smoke, and admire how composed they seemed with a pipe clenched in their teeth. I thought smoking a pipe was pretty cool, and I looked forward to the very first chance I'd have to try it myself. It might seem a little weird, but it probably didn't occur to me then that my taking up pipe smoking would surprise anyone or make me look "old" or weird. ;-)
I tried my first little mass-market cigar (probably a tipped Swisher or Black & Mild) when was 14 or so, foolishly thinking that I'd like it a lot more than I really did: The disappointment in the flavor and experience told me that cigars were maybe an acquired taste that had to develop in adulthood (even though guys my age seemed to like them just fine - I'll admit that I kinda wanted to be like them). My attempt to like tobacco made the cigar and pipe hobby seem a little more alluring - something that not just anybody enjoys right off the bat. I still had a really strong urge to find out if a pipe would be different, so I made off with one of my dad's pipes and gave it a few tries on the sly. Of course, I didn't know how to pack or light or handle a pipe, even after watching expert pipe smokers go through the routine for so long. With a little effort, I got the hang of it and found smoking a pipe to be amazingly enjoyable. I didn't feel great about keeping the hobby a secret, but I smoked on the sly because I was underage - not because I was worried about what anyone would think of a teenager smoking pipes (or the occasional cigar). Being around pipe smokers during that time was a little like torture: I had a strong desire to smoke myself but settled for savoring the scent and letting people know I was gonna smoke a pipe as soon as I turned 18.
Summer before college, I went for a campus orientation weekend - first time I'd really been out on my own. One of the RAs running the orientation smoked a pipe, which gave me the nerve to smoke my pipe in a public setting for the first time. I remember thinking that, if a 20-year-old college student could smoke a pipe, no reason I couldn't, too. I won't say I wasn't nervous lighting up the first few times - I was nervous about what people would think and say (but who doesn't think that way when they're 17?). When I went home for the rest of the summer, I told my dad I wanted my 18th birthday gift to be a nice pipe, 'cuz I wanted a good pipe to take to college for freshman year. Getting that pipe and turning 18 meant I could enjoy a smoke without sneaking around. Unlike what a lot of guys have said about how people react to pipe smoking, most people said they thought the pipe suited me and left it at that. At school, I noticed guys smoking pipes pretty often, but none of them fit any particular "image," as far as I could tell. Some were kinda nerdy (like me). My dorm-mate turned out to be a pipe smoker - also a little nerdy, but he socialized with a very popular crowd (who never discouraged him from smoking his pipe because he was "too young"). Guys in my classes who smoked pipes never seemed to fit into any social category, necessarily: jocks on the rowing team, preppy guys with polo shirts, studious types with glasses who'd wear tweedy jackets to class, pale semi-goth guys who always wore black jeans and tee shirts ...
After my younger brother saw me smoke a pipe, he said he thought it was natural - though at first he said he couldn't figure out if smoking a pipe was too cool or not cool enough for me. ;-)
Looking forward to reading more posts on the topic! John

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
One common thread binds all pipe smokers together, regardless of age or gender, or even generation. We are all very unique individuals in some way ... more so than "normal" people, if that makes any sense.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I started smoking a pipe at 18. I picked it up because I liked quality tobacco. Smoked a few cigars and realized I couldn't afford those with enjoyable regularity, so pipes seemed like a good alternative. I have hopped back and forth between pipes and cigars over the years to keep things interesting. I'll be 29 next week. Although there are guys my age acting like hipsters, trying to hold on to their youth or whatever, I don't think hipster was even a word when I started smoking a pipe -- if it was a word, it had not graced my ears at that time. Either way, I'm not one and don't want to be one. When it comes to persona/style, my goal is simple, "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
As for whether or not it is "cool", I think we should ask Custer's men...
custer-union-troops-1862.jpg

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Interesting comment above about getting into pipe smoking b/c one could not afford to smoke cigars in regularity. I too had that notion at first; however, the money I have spent on pipes has been far more than what I would have spent on cigars it seems! Pipes are addictive. Although in the long run the pipe probably is cheaper I guess.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
@bowler1, yes I too have spent some serious dough on handmade pipes now; however, I was able to get through college with a solid stable of estate briars, corn cobs, and mostly bulk tobacco with an occasional tin for a "treat". Cigar smoking would have been a weekly, sometimes monthly, luxury at best.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
I'm 51 and have been smoking a pipe, on & off, since I was 17. I enjoy cigars occasionally but nothing beats smoking a pipe. To me a pipe is a functional work of art and I enjoy buying & smoking unique pipes. I'm 6'6" & about 200lbs so I don not fit the stereotypical image of a pipe smoker but that has never concerned me. I do what I enjoy and as long as I'm not hurting anyone else, I'm ok with that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I was in college in the 1960's, smoking a pipe was thought to be a professorial gesture, and quite

a few professors were pipe smokers. Some of the students imitated them. It was thought to look

intellectual and intelligent. I think that was why I smoked cigars in college. I didn't want to look like

a professorial wannabe, though college teaching appealed to me. (I never did it, but it was an option

for a long time.) I've never experienced the pipe smoking image as being exclusively something elderly

people did. All of the counter culture people I knew were into pot, pills and other "drugs," and cigarettes

if they did tobacco. I never knew any pipe smoking hippies. Maybe a few artists, although come to think

of it, not so much. Maybe a few writers.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I had my pipe with me in Iraq during Desert Storm. It was like having an old friend with me at all times.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I will be 64 soon. Started when I was 19 and stationed on an icebreaker. Didn't give a shit what people thought then. Don't care now. Went to my brother in laws birthday party and stepped outside for a pipe. Got a dirty look from wife because even though it was in the low 30s, I had 5 younger women standing in the cold with me and asking about pipe smoking. I didn't let any of them smoke my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.