PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesussex

Lurker
Apr 3, 2011
hey guys, I got a new briar pipe last week and ive had a few smokes in it and it seems to be smoking unusualy hot, any ideas?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Could be any number of things! Improper packing technique, too fast a cadence, the pipe could just have really thin walls, or some heat insulating varnish or shellac, etc.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Maybe the cake just hasn't come through yet?
I've noticed when I'm breaking in a new pipe it'll smoke hot until a cake starts to from.

davesussex

Lurker
Apr 3, 2011
Could be the varnish that you mentoined marmal4de, its does have a varnish on it and i havnt had a pipe with a varnish on it before.
The cake hasnt come through really as ive only smoked it a few times, but it just seems to be getting alot hotter in the break in process then any other pipe ive broken in has so maybe it could be to do with the varnish?

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I have some pipes that JUST SMOKE HOT... a few are fairly expensive pipes....Cake does seem to help... but at the end of the day...I have found that some tobaccos smoke hotter than others in certain pipes.. and by trying a different number of tobaccos I can generally find one that if I SLOW down enough will smoke tolerably... makes you really appreciate those that smoke nice and cool regardless of the tobacco and speed though!

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
It may again, be the packing method..I had dedicated my recently re-located Cahartan to good ol 1Q, and last night this sumbitch was HOT! Not a usual experience so I called it a packing catastrophy! i do however have some thin Petes. (Killarney) that ALL smoke hot, so I just dont smoke them.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Marmal, I've got 2 red in my hand right now...a B10 and a 338, both P-Lip...they are yours. PM me a good addy and I'll mail them HOT things out to ya! Both are ARO pipes.
EDIT: You WOULD have to be in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
LOL, We'll have no panhandling around here, take that sh!t somewhere else, Marm.
:laughat: Now it's the "Give me more Petersons guy."

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I'll be right back, gonna drink another beer and then send UncleArthur 25 cents for his BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.