PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What happened to the pipes?? Only the dry cycle would potentially cause real damage. I often use hot water to rinse bowl and stem, best way to remove all ash and soften and crud in the stem to be removed by a pipe cleaner run through. Heresy? Perhaps, but it works for me.
I know another gent who has been known to put his pipes in a sink full of soapy water to clean them. I have used soap and water and a toothbrush to scrub nasty rusticated estates keeping the bowl down to keep the chamber as dry as possible. Never any problems.
My "hanging" offense might be that I use one pipe per day and smoke 10-12 bowls in it. I have also knocked my pipes against the sole of my shoe. Any fecal matter picked up doing that is subjected to the heat of my Zippo so I don't worry about it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
ejames-
I have found that virtually no water is absorbed via rinsing with hot water, unlike absorption from smoking too-wet tobacco, where the heat of combustion opens the pores of the briar a bit to let in moisture from the combustion process/smoke.
I smoke dry-side tobacco, though, so generally have a dry pipe at the end of a bowl. I've also gone back-to-back-to-back-to....., with no ill effects unless the mortise has gunk in it. Also have smoked right after rinsing, drying with a paper towel and loading up.
Ones mileage will vary...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My biggest hangin' offense was jumping into a huge pile of leaves, rolling around, and not being aware my pipe had dropped into the pile. Found it the next morning, run over by a vehicle or two. It was my only Dunny in my college days, a gift from a dear relative. Decades later I acquired its doppelgänger but it's not a full substitute. Then to top it off, the damaged but smokeable pipe disappeared by my carelessness again (or was chucked by a zealous woman in cleaning.)

I bang my pipes on whatever is handy. But, as far as hanging offenses, I was gassing up the tractor with my pipe in maw the other day, when my daughter's boyfriend had the good sence of grabbing the pipe out of my chompers. I nearly hit him, till it came to me how stupid I was being. Good kid! I may keep him, ha ha.
The week before I was at the grocers, all the way in the meat department, when I realized I still had my pipe a going. Ha ha! I just stuck it in my shirt pocket, like I knew what I was doing.

No cat asses were harmed, ha ha!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I still knock my smokers on anything hard around outside. Not Dunny's or such.

Bought a Dr Graybow last week, noticed pink stuff on the pipe cleaner, got some 151 rum & pipe cleaners & after 4 pipe cleaners said screw this & went to the sink with a stem brush & dish soap & got rid of it all. Smokes great today. Plan to do that to some stems in the future.Getting into the Dr. pipes for shits & giggles & really like them! Never stuck one up a cats ass though.

:)

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Brad your a genius!!!
mso love your cat stories and +1 for deathmetal and you for "large stupid kitten" lmao!!
Cosmic your self control is enviable!! Would like to think I would react as you did.

jasongvl

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
Kent, England
Oh my days!!! These are some fantastic stories!!! PSML!!!
I have another (fortunately not myself- I was just a witness).
Upon a friend saying to me (in a rather big-headed tone)- "I smoke a pipe but I inhale. I tend to smoke cigarette tobacco out of them".
I, very puzzled at this point, decided to gift him one of my spare basket pipes (that I was going to throw away anyway), thinking he may smoke rolly tobacco out of it.....no-no...he did not.

He proceeded to reach into his pocket, pull out a packet of cigarettes and began to break one apart. After which, I mumbled a very quiet protest but was too intrigued to what the bloody hell he was doing...so continued to watch in amazement.

Very determined...he then stuffed the entire thing, including the paper AND filter into the pipe and set hell-fire to it to light it. Straining not too be sick and maintain a composed face he did actually finish 3/4 of it before putting down the pipe saying that he "had had his fill" whilst his face was turning green.
To this day when I smoke a basket pipe I still have a little giggle about it.
:laughat:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I can't seem to maintain a consistent rotation routine and regular cleaning. Getting better,though. I can't begin to compare with some of these fine fellows, I'm glad to say.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
My first offense took place about 1 minute after lighting up my first pipe for the first time. I had always seen my Grandpa clenching the pipe so I got the pipe lit and through it in my teeth to relax. I underestimated the power needed to hold the pipe and it fell out of mouth and onto the dirty, mouse crap infested floor. It certainly wasn't how I pictured my first time! On the other hand....it lasted longer than my other first time. :D

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I think it was my second new Yello-Bole. I tried smoking it while driving in my GTO convertible. The pipe needed some breaking in and wasn't smoking well so I laid it on the seat next to me. Needless to say, the breeze in the car had the pipe going like a furnace. By the time I realized what was happening I had one burned out pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.