PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Once in a while someone posts about how much they enjoy spending time with another pipe smoker.The're just seems to be something special in conversations between pipe smokers.A bond of sorts that doesn't seem to be there with cigarette smokers.I almost never get to talk to another pipe smoker in person.I wish I did but I'm sad to say that I don't.This as close as I usually get..NO it's not the same..Thank all of you though for making it the next best thing.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thats why I joined our Seattle Pipe Club at the invitation of someone here (Phillip) and I am glad I did. I agree 100% that is so nice to enjoy a pipe with fellow puffers. If you are a puffer, you are a friend of mine.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There are a couple of pipe smokers in this town, but they frequent a B&M that I'd never give my business to, so I don't see them. I used to hang out with a couple of pipe smoking friends, but they've passed in the last couple of years. Recently, I had a telephone chat with a fellow forum member about pipe smoking and greatly enjoyed the conversation. Wish I knew more people like that.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Aside from my oldest son, there's only one other local pipe smoker who will show up at the local B&M every couple of months or so. We're a rare breed, indeed.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Pipes, like grouse hunting, are better done with a good friend. Too bad a bird dog can't clench down on a rustic shell and take a puff or two.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"I think many of us are in the same boat, Puffy. I know I am. I've lived in this town for 6+ years and I've never seen anyone else smoking a pipe. No clubs. The nearest cigar lounges are 1+ hour's drive in different directions."
Yes, I'm also in that boat. Except that I've been living in my present town for 34 years, and have seen but one pipe smoker who wasn't even a resident! The nearest cigar lounges here (Israel) are probably in Dubai.

So I, too, greatly value this forum and its fabulous membership!

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I guess I am very blessed to have a buddy who when he found out I was gonna get a pipe he said order me one too. We both started smoking pipe & learning this together. We try & get together about 2 to 3 times a week to sit back relax & enjoy a bowl together. I live in a rural area with no local pipe or tobacco retailers & so we order all of our supplies online. Sites like this are truly wonderful & wish I could meet many of you in person but thats impossible so for now I will just say thanks and hi to all of you here.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
I gave a pipe to a friend of mine a couple of years ago and we get together once in a while for a 'scotch and pipe' night. Other than that, I don't know anyone else other than on this site. What I can't figure out: every gas station and convenience store sells pipe tobacco. Some around here even have quite a variety. Someone must be buying it, or they'd quit stocking it. Where are these people LOL!?!?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
All the pipe smokers near here are in Philly (shivers) or Texas. No one in the Eastern MD/DE area seems to smoke.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Smoking with good friends truly is priceless and most of my smoking friends still smoke cigars
I'm trying to set a good example but so far only one them has 'converted' :)
I also love this forum and find it invaluable.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
In my first 15 yrs. of pipe smoking, I don't ever recall meeting, let alone sitting down with, another fellow pipe smoker. In the last 10 yrs. thanks to forums and pipe clubs I've begun to be more social. But for mepipr smoking I'd still a pretty solitary undertaking.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow, I guess I'm pretty lucky. I get together with my neighbor (and good friend) at least every Sunday afternoon for a smoke and a drink. Our wives even hang out with us. In the warmer months we regularly get together with a couple of other neighbors who are pipe smokers to smoke outside. I guess I should appreciate these opportunities more than I already do.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Yes indeed it seems to me like a rare privalege for most pipe smokers. Sounds like you have a really good thing ging there my friend.

missileguy

Lurker
Feb 9, 2013
Recently I started smoking a pipe. I just saw it as a reason to stop and sit awhile. I was sitting there one day and a coworker came by he was smoking a cigar. We sat together and just discussed our day. I eventually helped him find a nice starter set of pipe and tobacco. To shorten this story we now have a group of 6 people that meet twice a week on my office deck. We range from the lowest rank in the army to officers and civilian workers. While deployed it offers a less formal period and we can drop our positions and just have some normal people time. I do believe in the 6 years I have deployed this is the best thing I have found to cope. Almost therapeutic if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.