PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Warren wins. Excellent comments. I have nothing further to add.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Jimmy Cliff quit smoking other stuff and drinking alcohol when it started to affect his range and clarity. Me, I like catching folks off guard with a scary voice and don't make money singing.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can't say that my voice has changed much in the few years I've enjoyed a pipe. I smoke very infrequently though, like 2 or 3 times a month. That said if my voice were to change no one would notice, as no one listens to me anyway.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I've sung every week for about 20 years. The only thing that's affected me is age. Pipe and cigar smoking hasn't done anything to my voice.

@ash that was hilarious

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just an aside. I think that most of us sound a lot better to ourselves than we do to others. It is also surprising that some people with mediocre speaking voices, or even somewhat annoying or unpleasant ones, sometimes break into song like angels. Go figure. I like "taking voice lessons" in my head while singing hymns at church, discovering the effects of breathing and how some adjustment in throat muscles can make singing effortless instead of grating. I've been recruited for singing only once, but it was an outdoor event and they needed a bass voice or too, which is roughly where I land. But church choirs and other singing groups recognize my talents, or lack thereof, and I am not bothered with requests to join. There was a guy in boot camp, a kid from New Orleans, who claimed to sing professionally in clubs. He couldn't hold a note nor stay on pitch, nor get on pitch. He always sounded like a drunk in the shower. But he did have confidence, and fortunately, didn't have time in boot camp to sing too much.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I spent the first 25-years of my professional life as a radio and television sports broadcaster. I was a pipe smoker all through that period. I never sang on the air (or off for that matter as I can't sing a lick), but everybody except my lovely wife thinks I still talk pretty good. (-:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have smoked for almost 40 years. Since my accent is extremely British I have been told by many that I sound like the late Charles Grey, that said residual family say I sound exactly the same. I think at lot of these outcomes are down to how much you smoke, do you inhale and genetic predisposition to larynx issues. Tell us about the things you like to smoke and were you go to smoke your pipe. Lets have something new to dwell upon chum!

Status
Not open for further replies.