PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
I am yet to return to a regular pipe habit, but I had a friend in his mid-late 30s who smoked 3-5 bowls a week and regularly ran three miles daily. Last I was in touch with him, he was training for a marathon, and regularly running 12+ miles and didn’t seem to be taking any breaks from the pipe. I’d imagine you’d want a day or two break before the big race, though.

Reactions: JOHN72

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I’m 37, up at 5am everyday running two miles then doing my weight training routine. And I do that on top of a physically demanding day job. I smoke at least one bowl a day during the week and 2-4 a day on the weekends. I smoke cannabis (inhale) everyday at least a gram or 1.5grams for the past 15 years and I do just fine, no slowing me down yet. If anything will slow me down it’ll be the weed before the tobacco.

Also I don’t drink alcohol much at all and I’m completely caffeine free.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Nicotene is performance inhancer, just not too much of it. I am constantly doing strength work, mobility work, and other skill based movement practices. Pipe effects it because I want to sit down and smoke more then I want to do another set, etc.😂

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dude, I drink a truckload of coke every week. 😂 Doing some strength work helps me keep weight on, otherwise, I’d just atrophy, I sit all day for work.
I conduct environmental, structural, ergonomic, efficiency, and productivity testing in a factory 12/7. Constantly running but no ability to put on mass.

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
Genetics probably play a role. I do find that if I smoke more than 3x per week I develop a slight cough (no I don't inhale), probably from the secondary smoke. I may just be more sensitive than most. So I try to keep it to 3X ish. I am 55 and pretty active - regular strength training, 50 milers on my bike, and walk at least 3 miles a day. Have not found pipe smoke affects that.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
My Dad smoked 3/12 packs of cigarettes a day from 18 to 40. They found a lesion on his lung and he stopped smoking cold turkey. Turned out to be a scaring in his lung from pneumonia as a child. He did not go back to smoking. He lived until 97. I really don’t know what to make of it except for genes. He never exercised but was always in great shape.

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I'm smoking right now, 2 hours before my beer league hockey championship game.

To the OPs marathon question, I ran my first, and what will be my only marathon in 2021. I smoked less than I do since, but I don't think it had much effect. I finished, and that's the only positive thing I have to say about the entire experience.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I don’t think it affects my wind/cardio at all, as I’m just bringing the smoke in for a taste and back out. Surely small small amounts wind up being inhaled, but I like to think it’s an insignificant amount.
My honest worry, as has been discussed in other threads, is the oral health and long term stuff going on

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I lift heavy five days a week and get at least one insane cardio workout a week. I skate, climb mountains to fire towers, bicycle, and squeeze in extra cardio every chance I get. At forty. @npod may be willing to add to this. Pipes have no real effect for me.