PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pappy Coon

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
I've been smoking cigars for over 30 years. Should I expect to get the same dense smoke from a pipe that I get from a cigar? I seem to get that heavy smoke when I first light the pipe but then it dwindles down to less than a cigarette. Are there different tobaccos that produce more smoke than others?

Reactions: kcghost

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Like you can get huge clouds of smoke from a pipe, but you'll scorch your mouth badly from puffing that hard. I smoke pipes and cigars, you won't get the smoke output from a pipe if you smoke it properly

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
To maximize flavour with both cigars and pipes, it’s best not to overheat the tobacco; clouds are not ideal—wisps are better, especially with pipe tobacco.
I came back to pipes after years of smoking cigars exclusively.
Despite repeating the above mantra to myself (and others), I find I need to reassure myself that the pipe is still lit by producing the occasional billow of smoke 😁
Somehow thins wisps of smoke doesn't seem as satisfying 😏

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Side question: Does anyone have an article that details the differences and similarities between pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I came back to pipes after years of smoking cigars exclusively.
Despite repeating the above mantra to myself (and others), I find I need to reassure myself that the pipe is still lit by producing the occasional billow of smoke 😁
Somehow thins wisps of smoke doesn't seem as satisfying 😏
Sometimes not even occasional, haha - a good billow now and then keeps the bugs away!

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper