PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenh

Lurker
Oct 11, 2011
I'm on vacation in NYC next week, and I also want to look for pipe shops there. I've read a lot of the different shops in NYC, but I can't find something about which tobaccos they have in stock. I'm searching for C&D, G.L.Pease and McClelland. I've heared Nat Sherman only sells his own blend, but there might be much more shops, De la Concha, Barclay Rex and so on...Please help me...
Greets from Germany, Sven

svenh

Lurker
Oct 11, 2011
Yes, sure...but I can't find anything about tobacco brands they have in stock:
de la concha(http://www.delaconcha.com): offers online their own blends and davidoff tobaccos...

barclay rex(http://barclayrex.com): offers nothing

nat sherman(http://natsherman.com): also only his own blends
Nothing about other blends like G.L.Pease...

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Wie gehts sven, welcome to the forum and soon to the Big Apple. Barclay Rex is a good shop and carries a decent selection of the blends you mentioned; however, because of the usurious tax rates in the city you'll be paying a premium--for example, a $10 tin online will cost at least $18+ here. You'll save money by taking a trip to Jersey and shopping there, if time permits. I will say that Nat Sherman blends are all very excellent and you can only get them in the shop, and they're reasonably priced (less than $10 for 2 oz.) to compensate for the taxes. De La Concha frankly sucks balls with their crappy customer service, limited tin selection, and deplorable house blends, though they do have a few pipes on the wall. I'd be happy to meet up with you and show you around midtown if you'd like, shoot me a PM--I'd even be interested in a trade of some European blends for some American ones if you're interested.

svenh

Lurker
Oct 11, 2011
Mir geht es gut, danke!

$18 is really expensive...in Germany, 50g costs about $11...

I will arrive at Newark Liberty International Airport(New Jersey), so that it would be also okay if there's a tobacconist in NJ. Can anyone make a proposal? The shop should not be to much away from New York City if possible...

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Sehr gut! JR Cigars has a few locations: http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm

I'll ask a friend in Newark if he can recommend a place as well. Are you staying in NJ or NY?

svenh

Lurker
Oct 11, 2011
I'm staying in Queens,New York City. But I'm landing in Newark...Airport...Did you learn german in school?=)

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Hallo Svenh,
Erstmals, Wilkommen beim Pipesmagazine
Na von wo in Deutschland kommst du?

Wirst du nur in NY sein oder auch zeit haben in andere Staaten zu Reisen?

Ich kann dir leider keien tips für NY geben aber hier in VA sind ein paar gute Läden wo man auch guten Tabak kaufen kann.
Ich wünsche dir einen Schönen aufenthalt in NY
Grüße Yuri

svenh

Lurker
Oct 11, 2011
Moin Yuri,

ich wohne in Oldenburg, zumindest zeitweise noch, als Student. Ich werde eigentlich nur in New York City sein sowie teilweise in New Jersey, bedingt durch eine geführte Tour und weil ich eben in Newark lande...VA ist nehme ich an, Virginia? Woher kommst du eigentlich ursprünglich?

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Moin Moin Svenh, ich bin eigentlich Amerikaner aber habe für lange zeit in Deutschland gewohnt.

Ja VA ist Virginia, ich wohne jetzt in Winchester, bin in 2009 von Stuttgart zurück gekommen, und zuvor war ich in Nürnberg. Nürnberg is meine Heimat Stadt wenn es für mich so was gibt.

Ich denke aber wenn wir weiter Deutsch schreiben weren wir verbannt :twisted: also denk ich das wir villeicht wieder auf Englisch umsteigen sollten. Kannst mir ja jederzeit ne PM schicken und von dort aus weiter auf Deutsch schreiben. Dein Englisch scheint aber sehr gut zu sein.

svenh

Lurker
Oct 11, 2011
romeowood, thanks for the tip! Asking for beer sounds funny ^^

I couldnt imagine, that its so difficult to find a good tobacco shop in a city with a few million peoples. thats disappointing...maybe your friend knows more...

martini

Lurker
Sep 28, 2011
slight hijack (this may be useful to svenh also):
Does anyone know of any cigar bars in NYC that allow pipe smoking? It would be nice to light up a pipe in a bar atmosphere with other pipe smokers and enjoy drinks too.

svenh

Lurker
Oct 11, 2011
romeowood
Sehr gut! JR Cigars has a few locations: http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm

I'll ask a friend in Newark if he can recommend a place as well. Are you staying in NJ or NY?
Did ask your friend in the meantime?
Greets from Germany, Sven

Status
Not open for further replies.