PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My B&M is five minutes from my house, and me and the owner are on a first name basis. We usually hang around and talk for half an hour or more every time I go in there. To me that's worth paying a few extra bucks in itself. Plus, he has some really good house blends and a layaway plan!

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I was thinking about this since I first read the original post and I found somewhat surprisingly that the only pipes I ever bought online was a lot of old pipes to refurbish from Ebay. All of my other pipes I've bought either in a B&M or at a pipe show. I don't think I ever made the choice to purchase that way it's just the way it works out. I'm lucky to have a nice local B&M that carries quite a few pipes and a good selection of tobacco, so that helps tilt the odds in favor of the purchasing offline. I've never really compared prices between the 2 but I'm sure the local guy is probably 10% to 20% more expensive but I'm willing to pay that premium to touch what I buy.
I'm not against shopping online but a pipe is an important tactile thing to me. How it feels in my hand has as much influence in my decision to purchase as does the way it looks.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
I have doing some research going to the local Pipe & Tobacco shops here in Montreal from what I can see when it come to pipe prices they are about the same from what you get online. Including getting starter pipes for as low as $25can dollars to the buying a Peterson or Savinelli give or take 10% on the price online or at the Pipe & Tobacco shop. The difference will be at the price of tobacco online a 50gram tin of is far more economical compared to buying at the P&T shop almost $10 to $15 dollars more on the price of tobacco.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
I buy online from the B&M I used to go to when I lived up north.

Some tobaccos are slightly more expensive, but only by pennies. I see it as loyalty to the guys that helped me through my first few tobacco decisions, also if I continue to order from them they'll be open when I go to visit the parent. I use it & I won't lose it. Fingers crossed.

Aug 1, 2012
I have actually found new pipe prices to be cheaper than online in 4 of the 6 B&Ms I go to. Estates and tobacco however, are more expensive in 5 of the 6.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I'm looking for a particular item, a specific shape, finish, brand, etc., I pretty much go online, even if I also check

at the local shops. When I go to a pipe shop, I browse for what they have and consider it, but I have less control over

what that might be.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
An outstanding and totally awesome B&M opened up 5 minutes from my house this summer. Most places around me are mainly cigar shops but this one not only has full stocks of pipes/tobacco but very pipe friendly. I made a decision that to support them and keep them in business. My "tobacco tithe" is spend 10% of my buying from them. Yes it costs more but having them there is worth the $15-$20 a month.
Craig

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
To be fair if your including shipping, you need to include the cost of gas and wear and tear on the vehicle used to get to the shop.
Buying online is meant to save in the same way buying at Sams does. Bulk, your not running in and picking up a single pound of pasta. Your picking up 10 lbs and 10 jars of spaghetti sauce.
With me being new to pipes Im trying a lot of blends. The closest local for me is 30 miles each way. 4.95 an oz for the bulk blends and they refuse to name the brand. MM Legend is 8.95, MM pride was 7.95.
All in all 2 oz and one bundle of cleaners was $12 + an easy $7 in gas.
The order I placed last night from P&C
Hearth & Home Anniversary 1 2.95

Kake (by the ounce)
Hearth & Home Ten to 1 2.95

Midnight (by the ounce)
Hearth & Home Frenchy's 1 2.95

Sunza Bitches (by the

ounce)

Corn Cob Danish Style 1 0.79

Filtered Replacement Stem
Corn Cob Danish Style 1 0.79

Filtered Replacement Stem
BJ Long's Medium Pipe 1 1.10

Cleaners (bundle) (YELLOW

LABEL)
Corn Cob Missouri Pride 1 3.14

Pipe - Straight
Subtotal 14.67

Discount -2.95

Subtotal 11.72

Shipping 6.87

Tax 0.00

Total 18.59
So $1 dollar more for the online order not including the 2-1 on H&H.
Even if I dont include gas for my drive the value represented when purchasing more than one item is very real.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Yep, but it is less than mark up for the local. I just cant justify a larger purchase this early in the game. I almost ordered 6 oz instead of 3 but the war dept... Yeah

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I wish I had a B&M anywhere near me. I would gladly pay more (in whole dollar terms it's not that big a deal) to have a good pipe tobacconist that I could talk with, pipes I could handle, pipe buddies to meet, etc. Some of you guys are lucky in that regard.
Out here in the sticks, it's on-line only. In case I'm out of town, in which case I always try to see of there's a B&M to check out.
Support your local tobacconist, guys. Otherwise they'll be extinct before you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.