Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I've been trying to get a little time in the shop lately and always come up with a reason I can't. Well today a buddy and fellow pipe maker came over and we played.
He drilled a few blocks, which he can finish at home.
While he did that, I worked on a stem I've been making for one pipe and also drilled and shaped, or tryed too, a pipe that was to be a commission.
The guy wants a Freehand style pipe with Plateaux on the rim and shank end. I picked a block that looked like it had pretty good grain and drew my preliminary shape on the block.

DSC00789.jpg

I then drew my airway and chamber lines for drilling and chucked the block in the jaws and did my drilling. I like to countersink the stem into the shank on my plateaux shanked pipes. Looks cleaner and is stronger than just sticking the tenon in the mortise.

DSC00790.jpg

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

All was going well in the shaping of the pipe to make the shape I had drawn. Then when I was just about to the shape I wanted I hit a big long fissure. So with this in mind, I began reshaping and when I got that fissure out of the way and was just about happy with the shape I now had, I hit another on the side and a crack on the bottom. There fore, this pipe will not be going anywhere. I am happy with the shape of the finished pipe and I'll be putting a stem on it and keeping it for myself. I'll smoke it, but doubt with the crack that it will last long. It's a shame too, because this pipe has some nice grain.
Any way you look at this pipe you'll see that it has different angles and looks kind of droopy. I call it my "Drunk Poker" What do you all think?
DSC00805.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
'bout time you got back in your shop Steve!! To bad about the flaws in that chunk of briar,I really like the shape you ended up with!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Thanks guys, I'll be getting back in there as I want to get a few pipes made up for the St. Louis show as well.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
That is " out of the box thinking " To bad there is not a sealer to reinforce

the crack. To me the crack ads to the look

Would you mind if I tried to do that shape. I do not sell,just do for the

for the pleasure of working with wood and leather.

Joe Stewart

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
As a general proposition, I am not a fan of freehand pipes. But that one is simply lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.