PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
Being new here and I am not sure if this has been posted before of not. I tried searching the threads but there is so much to try and go through. Even with the keyword search I was having difficulty.

So with all that said: What are some of everyone’s favorite pipe shapes. I am finding that I prefer a bent billiard or bent Dublin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like all of the six or eight most produced traditional shapes, but i find I like quite a few others as well. I like the Peterson version of the volcano, the bent B11, which is also a sitter. Some of the Hawkbill shape looked a little disjointed to me, but I won a Hawkbill pipe in a limerick contest offered by a member here, and it is a beautiful pipe. So i'd say, I have a wide appreciation for shapes, and like some versions of a given shape better than others. I like most of the pipes in the Canadian shape family. Etc.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I am straight billiard man who has a penchant for saddle bits. When I started out, I really enjoyed the look of a bent pipe; however, it did not take me long to realize that I prefer the smoking qualities of a straight stemmed pipe.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Classic shapes - as in old Britwoods.
Bulldogs, straight or bent. Rhodesians not so much
Billiards - both straight or bent. Short chubby ones especially.
Cuttys and belges
Eggs and brandys
Recently became enamoured with Lovats

Too many likes to go with just one shape 😊

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Skulls, volcanoes, fugu blowfish, Ivarsson blowfish, eggs, apples, and bent dublins.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I’m a fan of billiards and Dublins as well. I also have a few bulldogs that have a good hand feel. I started out preferring half- and full-bent pipes (for easy clenching) but have found that lighter weight straight pipes better keep the smoke out of my face. I still love quarter bent pipes as well, and Peterson System pipes (all bent) make up half my collection and rotation.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Zulus and straight dublins, straight billiards, pokers, princes, bulldogs.
One day I'm sure I'll be tempted by some of the curvier shapes like bent dublins, scoops, horns, etc. I've had my eyes on a few freehands lately.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Looking at my "collection" I have 2 straight bulldogs, 2 lovats, a bent Bulldog, a bent Brandy, a bent billiard, a bent Danish Egg (looks more like an apple), a cutty and corncob poker. So I'm all over the place, but most have something common, they are almost all saddle stemmed. All have been bought in a different period, I now have my long straight billiard pipe with a saddle stem (so a Lovat or Lumberman) phase, but there is a possibility I would change that phase to anything else.