PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I smoke the pipe once, sometimes twice in a day then it gets cleaned with denatured alcohol and rests for at least a day if not longer. I smoke three bowls a day on average.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I rotate between 4 pipes, I'm a one maybe two bowl a day guy. I only smoke Aros and Virginias and don't dedicate a specific pipe to either. I use the same pipe all day then give it a good 3 or more days to rest (sometimes I go a day or two without a bowl). I thoroughly clean all of my pipes about once every month or two. I usually follow this pattern because I've found that I have a better smoke with a pipe I have let rest 3 days than one that I have smoked the day before.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I rotate my pipes after smoking, and have several pipes dedicated to my main tobaccos. I have several Meers, and several cobs for when I want to try something new or just sample a new blend...

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Bringing baseball into the conversation, I have a 'five man rotation' of cobs that I use regardless of use and several 'relief' pipes (2 for lats, a briar I gave up on that I'm attempting to reintroduce and 2 'nice' pipes' I'm still breaking in. I usually don't smoke lats except once in a while I'll smoke Bald Headed Teacher (not really a heavy lat), Sextant, Steamroller or the H&H version of EMP (I can't think of the name off the top of my head). My 'nice' pipes, one Hardcastle bulldog and a Pete Aran 120 (they are nice in my price range) , I only smoke them when I have time to smoke all the way through (which is usually weekends) and I generally let them rest/dry at leaat a day but it usually works to to more time off. I've been thinking about starting a thread about my '5 Man Rotation' theory and now that this is brought, when I am less tired, I will attempt to put something up about it and try to expound upon it.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I've been thinking about starting a thread about my '5 Man Rotation' theory and now that this is brought, when I am less tired, I will attempt to put something up about it and try to expound upon it.
I am looking forward to that.
I have finally gotten a few of my estate/antique finds cleaned up and ready to start into a rotation. I think I'll have five or six to start with now and am looking forward to seeing what a difference it makes giving some rest to each one.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
core change/ Used to just grabnsmoke anyone of 150 pipes. Now, I've got a plan...For the day, I select 2 pipes and smoke one in the AM & 1 in Pm. I smoke with these 2 pipes for 5 days, then retire them. Next up is 2 different pipes and the same schedule. A long rotation before I get to the 2 original pipes. Well, time will tell if I stick to this Hairbrained idea. :crazy: :crazy:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I smoke Balkans and Englis blends through my larger bowls. My Virginias and VaPers through my narrower bowls, and aros through my midsize bowls. I never smoke from the same bowl back to back unless I am out and I try to let each pipe set 12 hours or more between uses. It seems to me that when I use the same bowl a lot, I get a case of leather tongue and pipe gurgle from excessive moisture. I clean the entire bullpen every 3 days with Grain spirits. I have been smoking mostly Balkan/English blends, so my 4 wide bowls have been taking a beating :puffy:

bigbehr

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
I have ended up with quite a few new pipes (not broke in). So is what I do to make sure I smoke them all equally, I have a unsmoked and smoked rack. I have a small 7 pipe rack that is where my pipes rest after a smoke. once that fills up I move everything back to the unsmoked rack and start over. Funny thing is I am usally returning the same 7 pipes each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.