PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey

Lurker
Dec 11, 2012
I'm curious to know the rhyme or reason behind the way you rest or rotate pipes. Not the actual reasons for resting a pipe (which I've scanned elsewhere in the forum - makes sense). But rather, do you have a particular pattern to the way you rotate pipes throughout the day and/or throughout the week? Maybe for some it's based on more than one factor; maybe it's simply spur-of-the moment. I'm curious to know what others do, especially as I plan on getting some more pipes :) Not even sure if this is a legit question to ask... kick me if I'm an idiot...

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Sure, it's a legit question!
I only have a few pipes and typically will only smoke a pipe once per day. That way at the very least the pipe will rest for the time it takes me to sleep. You'll get a lot of different answers on how long a pipe should rest, but I find this method works well, for me anyway.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Since I have gathered a decent number of pipes I try not to smoke more then one bowl a day out of the same pipe. Just my preference. I generally only smoke one or two bowls a day anyways, so this generally not a problem. I have found that some of the advise on the time to rest a pipe can be counter to some of the advise for the importance of building cake.
How do you build cake? You smoke it over and over, but how do you build cake if you are told to give the pipe ample time to rest.
Then I figured I was thinking too hard and just needed to smoke more. I know I really didn't help here so I hope you find the answer you are looking for.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I don't really have a plan, but pick a couple of pipes if I'm leaving the house. I clean 'um when I get home

and don't use them again for a while.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
My pipes are dedicated to tobacco families (English, Oriental, Aromatics, Virginias and VA/Pers, Burleys). In each family I keep different shapes and bowl sizes. I have a within-day rotation: in the mornings I prefer VA tobacco with coffee, after lunch and throughout the afternoon choice depends on mood and weather. For example, during summer afternoons I like citrus water and a nice bowl of a fruity aromatic like Larsen 2011 Edition. In fall/ winter this preference leans towards smokier blends like Squadron Leader. In the evenings I often like either a nice fragrant Oriental and a good Scotch. So choice of pipe is mostly dictated through the day by tobacco family, time I have for a smoke (bowl size) and activity (shape) while smoking such as surfing the net, reading a book or just enjoying the weather.I don't ever put more than one bowl through the same pipe within 24 hours.
Works really well for me that way - have yet to have a sour pipe.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
When resting my pips, I try to keep the bulldogs on the outside and as far away from the brandy as possible.

Life is just better for everyone that way.

restingpipes.jpg

Bedtime is usually about 0900 GMT. (Or should that be UTC?)

joey

Lurker
Dec 11, 2012
wow, thanks for the responses! this is helpful and I might try a few of those ideas... Philip, I like it – easy access each morning!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Love the photo, Phillip!
As I've begun to add to my humble collection, I try to not smoke a briar two days consecutively, whether I had 1 or 3 bowls the day I smoked it. Often times I limit briars to one/day and fill in with cobs when/if needed. But since most days I'm a 1-2 bowl a day man I don't have too much trouble.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
My personal choice is to allow at least a week before I return to the same pipe. I might smoke 3-5 bowls in it one day, but then it goes in the rack for at least a week. But it's often there much longer, since I dedicate pipes to specific types of blends. Seven is my minimum number for a specific category of blend. That means I have at least 7 pipes for English, for Balkans (which is one of my favorite types of blends), for Penzance (my go-to favorite tobacco), for straight Virginias, and for Va/burley blends. The only variation is that I have only 4 or 5 pipes dedicated to aromatics, because I hardly ever smoke them. (I have somewhere around 40 altogether.)
One disadvantage of my system is that I think it takes about 3 bowlfuls of a new/different blend in a pipe before the previous blend is gone and you can really start to taste the new one. It helps when you dedicate pipes to certain categories, but that doesn't entirely solve the problem. I mean, I may go from Caravan in a Balkan pipe to then smoking Presbyterian in my Balkan pipes. Presbyterian isn't a Balkan at all, but I choose those pipes because it focuses so strongly on oriental flavors, which Balkans do too. But when I move from Presbyterian to something else in those pipes, I need to have at least three bowlfuls of that "something else" in each one before the Presbyterian ghosts are going to dissipate. And that doesn't always happen, since I'm rotating pipes, maybe moving to different blends at the same time.
Yes, it does get confusing!:)
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have followed the one bowl, at least one day rest system for years. I have found that a dry pipe will smoke better and taste better. I have also always dedicated my pipes to certain categories, i.e va flakes or vaper flakes. I am also in the school that a dime's worth of cake is a good thing.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
The number of days rest for a pipe is diectly related to the way you smoke, type of tobacco and the manner that you smoke. For example, if you tend to smoke aromatic tobacco the rest would be longer than a tipical dry english blend. Usually, full bent pipes smoke wetter than straight pipes so the rest shuold be a little longer for full bents. Finally, some smokers they smoke with a slow cadence while other pipe smokers huff and puff with a more quick and eratic cadance. Certainly, the eratic puffers should rest their pipes longer than the slower pipe smokers. The number of pipes that you have is also a factor.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
thanx for the pic phillip :rofl:
I am fairly new to pipe smoking and am basically smoking the same types of baccy so I picked up a grab bag of cobs from MM which are my daily smokers I am rotating 4 cobs daily, I smoke approx 5-10 bowls daily. My briars I keep for "special" occasions or going out and then they sit until next time after a good cleaning. Cobs are cleaned daily before rest. Working good for me so far.

joey

Lurker
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for all the responses, guys! Lots I never even thought to consider... Love this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.