PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have a few higher end pipes that need fixed. Anthony was my go-to, but I think he retired. Who's doing quality work on stems these days?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have a few higher end pipes that need fixed. Anthony was my go-to, but I think he retired. Who's doing quality work on stems these days?

"Repair" is a wide-ranging word when it comes to pipes. Ask ten people what it means or involves and you'll get fifteen answers.

Even something that sounds precise like "stem work" means MANY things.

The best way to ask the question is by showing or describing an example of the exact situation you want fixed/addressed.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
"Repair" is a wide-ranging word when it comes to pipes. Ask ten people what it means or involves and you'll get fifteen answers.

Even something that sounds precise like "stem work" means MANY things.

The best way to ask the question is by showing or describing an example of the exact situation you want fixed/addressed.
It's a mixed bag. Couple the tenons snaped off inside the briar. Another needs to have a stem cut because my dog chewed the end of the bit.

I dropped a straight grained Zulu Castello and it snapped over the weekend. Broke my heart.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's a mixed bag. Couple the tenons snaped off inside the briar. Another needs to have a stem cut because my dog chewed the end of the bit.

I dropped a straight grained Zulu Castello and it snapped over the weekend. Broke my heart.

10-4

Replacing a tenon is a surprisingly fussy business that is easy to do badly and difficult to do well. There are several repair guys who can handle it without drama, though, and don't make mistakes very often. (which is important because there isn't a rewind button on many of the procedures required by pipe repair)

Regarding an entirely new stem, the biggie is whether or not you want an exact dimensional match---a true duplicate---made, or just a decent looking replacement that's detectable as a replacement. Critical to know because "invisibility" is almost always important to Oldie Britwood collectors and high end Scand and Japanese collectors.

Filtering your search with that info should get you where you want to go.