PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Find some old Folger cans, rough grind 5 or 6 tbs of coffee beans and throw into the bottom of the can, put the offensive pipe in the can, put the top on the can and pop some holes in it with an ice pick so your pipe can breath. :) problem solved.

dragospiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2017
"I'm curios: What tobacco did you smoke? I never noticed any bad smell of my pipes and they are right in front of my nose on the upper deck of my desk. I mean, dipping the nose into the empty, cold bowl smells not so good, but from distance I never noticed any bad smell.

Neither did I hear that from someone.
Is it possible you have any ventilation in your room or close to where you rest your pipe? Maybe that carries the bad smell into the whole room...idk."
I smoked Lane Limited Black Raspberry once and McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish the second time. Some said it might be because the pipe is new and might have some coating on the inside (Brigham Voyageur 165) but what do I know.. I found that it only smells if I clean it but don't clean the bowl as I did the first time I ever smoked it. If I scrape the bowl a little with a cotton cleaner then theres absolutely no smell to it and it smells kind of sweet after a few hours.

dragospiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2017
@aquadoc Wow okay, thats a very interesting tip and I feel as it definitely works! Thank you very much!
Also, I'm new to the forum and I do not know how to use all the stuff available on it.. How do people respond to one comment in particular? For example scrolling up to Mothernature's response, theres an indent, the straight bar, and the comment being responded to. Then there is the response underneath. How do I do that?

dragospiper

Lurker
Apr 27, 2017
Thank you everyone for the great responses. I'm amazed at how many of you have decided to help me out! This community is awesome!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Best thing for a stinky corpse in a warm house? Open a can of Folgers or MJB. Works every time. Coffee doesn't mask odors, it soaks it up. Only seems to suck it out of the air though not, drapes, carpets, etc.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
BTW, find an old pair of women's hose, cut a portion and knot one end, fill it with dry coffee grounds, tie the other end, and put in with your pipe room. It is bizarre how it changes the smell profile.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Charcoal is a pretty good sucker-upper for stanky aromatic stenchola.
That's the first I've heard of using coffee..sounds like a good one too.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
dragospiper:

To block-quote, you may either

Click the "quote" button just above the text entry area, start typing,then click the "quote" button again at the end of the quoted entry.

or

Copy & paste the text or type the text, highlight the text, & click the "quote" button ONCE.
Both methods work for most of the other buttons as well.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/science/sewages-toxic-smell-smothered-by-coffee.html
There are a number of sites that discuss the use of coffee grounds and smoke or tobacco smoke odor removal but I have not found the paper that discusses how the nitrogenous components in coffee bind specific odors, etc.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Don't let it worry you. Soon, your room, clothes and hair will reek of stale smoke and you won't even notice it. Nothing to stew over, it's part and parcel of the pipe experience. No one even mentions it anymore when they visit.
+1 yup :D

I also find that hanging freshly caught fish from the morning haul up close to your pipes also absorbs the odors and administers a fresh fish aroma that can be very pleasing. But, then there's all the yelling and screaming by the wife when you clean the fish in the sink. Uggg, like I don't rinse all the scales out of her bathroom sink when I'm done. :::sigh:::

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
aquadoc I will give it a shot ... I don't know why your coffee suggestion is much more appealing that cosmic's fishy suggestion :lol:

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Dragospiper, I think the bad smell is simply that of combustion, residual tar and other residues in the bowl. My pipes always smell a bit until they air out and then it changes to that wonderful slightly carbonized vanillin smell. I love the smell of a pipe that's been unsmoked for several days. It's a smell of my childhood as my dad was a pipe smoker and kept his pipes in the shop where I would savor that lovely aroma. Wiping the bowl with a paper towel, rinsing with hot water or aquadoc's innovative coffee idea should work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two issues, if I read it correctly. Cake and pipe smell. I am among the devoted minority who don't build cake. To do this, I scoop out the ashes and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel or napkin after every smoke, plus pipe cleaner and general buffing with a cloth. If you don't build cake, just a thin carbon layer, you don't have to ream. I have pipes almost 40 years old that have done well. The pipe smell thing will probably fade, however, you'd better find out what the school dorm's policy is on smoking. Further, for the future, understand that the world outside is quite fanatical about smoking smells. If you stay in a non-smoking hotel or motel room, and you smoke, you can be hit with a major bill for ridding the room of the smell. Likewise, many hosts don't want you smoking inside their residences, and some even protest outdoor smoking at their homes. So just understand, this is an issue, and be alert to not getting hassled and not offending unknowingly. Offending knowingly is your own lookout.

Status
Not open for further replies.