PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Five years ago ... that's getting back toward the Big Bang in Forums terms. When something threatens to be a pet peeve, I light up a big bowl of Semois and move slowly away from the source of the irritation. I do like titles on threads that give an idea of what the thread is actually about, but it's not a big issue.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Janos- keep on truckin'! But I think you also need more time, (as do I.) Or, I could sell you a couple hundred posts, real cheap!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
an, talk about resurrecting an old post!
Not sure I responded to this one five years ago, especially considering that for me, remembering what I did five minutes ago is a challenge.
But, I'm kind of like the guy who posted this five years ago (who knows, he might be dead by now) -
Well, he was 37 in 2010. I guess he is still alive :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Love seeing these old threads come to life again.
And, as much as I appreciate the efforts and personally like our newer mods, I really miss Lawrence. He was an early mentor and exceptionally kind. Lawrence took me under his wing and coached me through numerous sputtering starts and stops with piping and even smacked me down a time or two when I was - Screw you, Paddy! Up the Uruguayan Republic! - belligerent. I do wish him well.
I'm old enough now and what little hair I have left is gray. When forward people see me with a burner in public they either smile and say, "My grandfather smoked a pipe," or run away with their small children like I'm billowing clouds of radioactive fallout.
Ehhh, whatever...
Fnord

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
My pet peeve is pipe smokers who think they won't get cancer or heart disease because they don't inhale.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My pet peeve is pipe smokers who think they won't get cancer or heart disease because they don't inhale.
Since non-smokers can get either or both, do you have research showing a high incidence of those diseases among pipe-only smokers?

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Pet Peeves
#1 - Cigarette smokers who feel the need to comment when I'm smoking my pipe or a good cigar. "Oh gross that stinks"
#2 - Other pipe smokers who feel that because you only smoke Aeromatics or VA's and not some super strong English that you're somehow not a "Real Pipe smoker". PS I'm an English smoker but don't badger people that don't.
#3 - people that refuse to try new blends. I don't know why this bothers me but it does. I know we all have our favorites. But why not whore around a little? LOL just me

Mar 1, 2014
My pet peeve is people who have no concept of moderation.
And second to that, by just a hair, is the constant assertion that Lakeland blends taste like soap.

If you think a Lakeland tastes like soap, go get some unscented soap and taste it, then smoke a Lakeland blend. Lakelands taste sweet, and soap couldn't be further from it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
With the plethora of soaps available I wonder, do the members taste test a bunch of different brands after smoking a Lakeland? If so could they be more specific as to which soaps Lakelands most taste like. I'm an Irish Spring guy, never tasted it, but if there is a Lakeland with an Irish Spring room note, lease advise. Maybe one of the soap tasters could do a bit of research.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
#1 - Cigarette smokers who feel the need to comment when I'm smoking my pipe or a good cigar. "Oh gross that stinks"
I've had 20-30 favorable comments on the aroma of my pipe, and 0 negative ones. Cigars, not so much, but when others smoke them, I don't comment even when it does stink.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I've had 20-30 favorable comments on the aroma of my pipe, and 0 negative ones. Cigars, not so much, but when others smoke them, I don't comment even when it does stink.
I've only had the comments when I'm smoking something in the Latakia family like one of my all time favorites C&D Star of the east. :D

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It bothers me that some pipe companies get away with not caring about the quality of all of their pipes, and instead worry about quantity over quality.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
"Since non-smokers can get either or both, do you have research showing a high incidence of those diseases among pipe-only smokers?"
I don't have a list of articles in my back pocket, nor do I have a team of scientists at my disposal, if that is what you are asking. I merely stated my pet peeve.
But now that you mention it, I have been reading scientific articles about tobacco smoke and cancer most of my life. Because of my medical background, I can comfortably accept it as fact. You want proof and you are right to demand it, considering there is so much disinformation put out there by big tobacco companies. In my opinion, there is ample peer-reviewed research proving pipe smokers have a higher incidence of mouth, lip, tongue and throat cancers in relation to the general population. These studies have been available to the public for the past thirty years or so. If you think I am misinformed then I would recommend starting with searches of the American Medical Association, National Institutes of Health, Harvard Medical School and Columbia School of Medicine. Don't settle for partisan magazines, blogs, or newspaper articles. Find the original studies then go from there. You seem sharp enough to wade through the technical jargon these articles contain. The internet can help with any terms you are unfamiliar with. Remember, I can't prove it to you or anyone else. You have to do the research and come to your own conclusions just like I did. One or two articles won't do. You need to read at least a dozen peer reviewed studies to get a good start. Unfortunately, some web sources will try to make you pay for the information. Don't do it, and don't fret.
If it's OK with you, I'll PM you this weekend to see what you have so far. If you are having any trouble finding stuff, I'll try to get some good, free articles with the information we need. How does that sound? Do we have a deal?

Mar 1, 2014
With the plethora of soaps available I wonder, do the members taste test a bunch of different brands after smoking a Lakeland? If so could they be more specific as to which soaps Lakelands most taste like. I'm an Irish Spring guy, never tasted it, but if there is a Lakeland with an Irish Spring room note, lease advise. Maybe one of the soap tasters could do a bit of research.
I tried to find the ingredients to Irish Spring soap. I didn't find much, but what I did find is one of those old 80's commercials.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjSNrg7T0Wo
Which lead to me watching weird Japanese commercials. Mildly entertaining, sometimes a little dull, sometimes even painful to watch, but then at 3:54 in the video linked below, I saw something that's probably the most unexpected thing I've ever seen on a Japanese commercial.

For maximum effect I think you need to watch the whole thing from the start.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=giGAEe3_Ft0

Status
Not open for further replies.