PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
I used to think forums were for people who thought too much of their opinions and didn't have the guts and/or social skills for face to face interaction. This my still be the case for many people and forums, but not for this one. It has been discussed in other threads that which makes pipe smoking a hobby and not just an addiction. My answer? Community. First, the forum pulls together for the Free Pipe Project, from which I directly benefitted. Then, upon sharing the loss of most of the few pipes that I had, these people came together once again.
I have received these pipes from donators who responded to the previous thread on this subject. Pipes from the beautiful people on this forum leave a better aftertaste than those obtained in stores. These pipes, and all the FPP pipes, have stories and are given in kindness and generosity. Knowing the history behind these pipes, fills me with warmth and gratitude every single time I use them, just like their predecessors.
(Some photos I took came out blurry no matter what I did. Sorry.)
The first two pipes are from a member who wishes to remain anonymous. He/she always makes quality comments of insight, peppered with good humor. He/she is one of my favorite forum members. The little HB is over a hundred years old and is a wonderful companion to take to work. The age of the briar is wonderfully detectable in the flavor of the smoke. The other pipe is a Stanwell, though I can't quite tell what model due to ware. This pipe followed me through the Tetons and the mountains of Montana this past month. Yes, it's heavier than a cob, but for a briar, it's very light and I just couldn't help myself. It is such a pleasure to smoke, that I found myself smoking more than usual. I am loving both of these pipes and they fill two of the three of the "functional pipe voids" I had. Thanks to this donator, I have a small pipe for work and school, and an excellent everyday pipe. He/she also fulfilled two of the three "psychological pipe voids" I had, providing me with a vintage pipe and a pipe from Denmark.

The following is the contents of a package sent to me from simnettpratt. He covered my two remaining "pipe voids." The functional: a schpansy (fancy) pipe! Wow! Look at that Viking! It smokes as good as it looks! And the psychological: to have a pipe of simnettpratt's. I don't want to get too sappy here, but we've been conversing and enjoying one another quite a bit and I hold him in high regard. Included in his package was a number of other cool stuff: a couple of corn cobs, the Xenophobe's Guide to the English (very funny :), a boomerang instruction guide, a touching handwritten letter (who knew people could still write with pen and ink these days?), cigars for Andy, and a very cool knife which Andy ran off with, so it didn't make it into the picture. Oh, and a Guinness bottle cap which is now keeping the pipes company in their case.

Thanks to you both!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
It's great to have you back. Looks like you have a lot baccy tasting ahead. I hope you enjoy every second.

Jan 8, 2013
Wow :) They did you good! Beautiful, beautiful pipes :) I bet you can't guess which of them is my favorite :D

Congrats to you! And may these pipes, unlike their predecessors, last you your lifetime.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
What archy didn't tell you was I didn't have any money for the postage, and said if she could send me the postage, I'd be happy to send her some pipes. She sent me more than six times what the package cost, so my package was supposed to be a gift, but ended up being more just a decent deal on a Nording and some random tobacco.
She also sent some random gifts: a piece of 100 year old redwood, a stone that lets light through it, a cool book written by a trapper in the 1800s, a toy Jeep and Spitfire, a stuffed monster, an Indy 500 belt buckle, and the pièce de résistance: a cowbell she found outside an abandoned hut in India. I'm not at my house to take pics.
I wanted to stick a real boomerang in there, but they wouldn't fit and I didn't know if she was right or left-handed anyway (boomerangs are either right or left-handed).

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very Cool, the pipes are each very different but I imagine are great smokers. All of my Stanwells and Nordings are great smokers so I'm sure yours are. The Stanwell is very interesting, haven't seen one with that accent before, very pretty. And old briar is the best. That is quite a gift. Congratulations. The murder of pipes is the gravest offense even above theft, and I have have experienced the latter, but also the generosity of so many on this forum. It is truly a wonderful place full of great people.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have watched this thread with great interest, most of my pipes are not for a Demure young lady and I say that without any feminist view, I am a simple Cajun stateing fact, I knew this forum would replinish her pipes in grand style, if not I was ready with a monetary gift to get her going again. Well done to all of you. :clap:

Mar 31, 2014
Great people, indeed. In fact, I have never met such a high proportion of wonderful people in one place ever before. Now, that's saying something. This whole experience has turned out to be another lesson in the goodness of others.
-It was touching to read that I was in your thoughts, Cajun. Thank you :)

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
archy, Bradley (Cajun) is one of the finest and most generous people on the forums. He does a lot of stuff that doesn't get posted. Any thread you see about PMon you should read. An outstanding gentleman.
PS I have also never met such a high proportion of wonderful people in one place either. I don't know why pipes somehow attract them. Don't know.
PPS Seriously, check out any thread about PMon. He's not quite a forum member, but he's a good dude. Shifty though.

Status
Not open for further replies.