Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey guys who make pipes,
What kind of drill bits do you use to drill the bowl particularly? Could you post pics? Has anyone ever used a router?

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
i used modified spade bits before but converted to modified HSS drill bits - they cut a lot better in my opinion... much calmer drilling...

tool1.jpg

I use these guys. Brad Pohlmann was good enough to make a few sets a couple years back.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use some modified spade bits also. Would like to have a set like Stephendownie has--would also love to have one of Mr. Downies pipes!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I traded a pipe I made for my bits. Got 4 spade bits, a tool that drills the mortise and faces the shank in one step and 4 new Imco G77R lighters. He ground the bits and made the mortise tool.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I use Modified spade bits, Ball nosed end mills and also some regular drill bits. But I cut the shank off my spade bits and use the short version......... Just seems more steady, whether it is or not.
I then use tapered bits on the stems and a good quality brad point 5/16 and 5/32 bit on the airway and mortise.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Just remember to bring the edge all the way back especially with any taper. You are cutting with the whole bit not just the point .

Status
Not open for further replies.