PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
welcome from Florida.

I believe one of my Missouri meerschaums is made of birch, and other is supposedly made of maple. Each imparts a slightly different flavor to the smoke. I prefer the birch to the maple flavor, and I prefer briar to both. But neither is bad with a little cake.

MGAOKC

Might Stick Around
Oct 2, 2022
OKC OK
Welcome from OKC OK.
What part of Oklahoma are you from.
If your close enough we would love to have you come to our pipe club meeting and talk about your pipe building.

Kspipe

Lurker
Sep 23, 2023
Kansas
Hello everyone, thanks for being here.
I have been making pipes for 3 or 4 years now and I am always looking to learn and get better.
What native woods are "pipe bowl safe" to smoke from?
I normally use Cherry, and I know better than to use any evergreen. But what about Black walnut, Osage Orange (Bodark), Oak, Maple, etc.
I have heard that if you can smoke meats with it, you can smoke tobacco from it. So that would mean that most fruit trees and nut trees, would be safe, but I want to know for sure.
Anyone have the facts?
If you ever make a pipe from Osage Orange let me know. I grew up playing in what we called hedge rows here in south Kansas.

Mar 3, 2024
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Hello everyone, thanks for being here.
I have been making pipes for 3 or 4 years now and I am always looking to learn and get better.
What native woods are "pipe bowl safe" to smoke from?
I normally use Cherry, and I know better than to use any evergreen. But what about Black walnut, Osage Orange (Bodark), Oak, Maple, etc.
I have heard that if you can smoke meats with it, you can smoke tobacco from it. So that would mean that most fruit trees and nut trees, would be safe, but I want to know for sure.
Anyone have the facts?
Red Oak has copious tannins and is poisonous until given time to cure for a year or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.