PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
When I was new to pipe smoking, I'd heard of keeping a log book, which I did for about the first year. I'd make a note of the pipe, tobacco, how long the bowl burned, etc. Eventually, I realized that this didn't really add anything to the experience and I pretty much knew how long a bowl would last.
I moved on to using a small memo book and just writing the date, the pipe, and a "C" at the end of each entry once I'd cleaned the pipe. I like this way much better, since all I really need to keep on top of is maintenance.
At the beginning of the year, the library was giving out free weekly planners with mock leather trim, this will be my system from here out since I really like the layout.
Do any of you keep a similar record?

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I don't simply because I only own eight pipes. I usually clean the one I smoke as soon as it cools a bit. I imagine that if my collection where larger a system like this would be good to keep up with things. I will keep it in mind, because I know my collection will grow.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I keep a running tab on all the different blends I smoke in a pipe when I'm breaking it in. When I get to about 100 smokes I throw it out (the tally, not the pipe.) This is strictly anal-retentive and obsessive-compulsive behavior, and I don't know why I do it. Well, who says you have to be mentally balanced to enjoy a smoke anyway! It's a hobby, and it's fun, that's all.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
this guy keeps a log book to.

just messing with you. Do whatever to make the most of your smoking experience.
peewee_porky.jpg

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
...This is strictly anal-retentive and obsessive-compulsive behavior, and I don't know why I do it.
That's exactly why I ditched the first way I was taking notes. I get overly meticulous about other things in life enough and realized I was dragging that behavior over into something I'd be enjoying more without the nit-picking.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I use to keep one also. I used to write down which tobacco blend I tried, and if I liked it or not, or if it was just ok, or if it sucked.

I also wrote down all my pipe purchases in it, and how much they cost, and if the pipe was a good smoker or not.

This book was Richard Carlton Hacker's "The Ultimate Pipe Book". It was an autographed 1st edition.

I loaned the book to my son, who promptly lost track of it. If by chance anyone out there reads this, and comes across it, it would be nice to get it back.

The damn book is worth $130.00 now! Not to mention all the blends I wrote down, denoting which one's I liked and didn't like.

I don't have to worry about the my wife finding out how much I spent on pipes though. She's long gone too.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
This book was Richard Carlton Hacker's "The Ultimate Pipe Book". It was an autographed 1st edition.
I did a little looking around, sounds like a great book.
Here's a link to a log book printed by Dunhill. If you click on the image, some zoom shots pop up. Looks like something for the smoker who really likes going into detail, though I can't read it very clearly.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dunhill-pipe-log-76104971

Status
Not open for further replies.