Pipe Grip Ambidextrous (or Lack Therof)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
This seems to be a discussion out of the twilight zone. Who'da thunk it that such a subject would ever come up? Ok, I'll bite - the pipe is comfortable on either side of the mouth, as well as in either hand.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
I wanted to know if my favoring one side (the right) was an anomaly or statistically normal. Based on responses there appears to be enough folks (not all) that favor a side to suggest that a singled sided preference is not an outlier and does have a measurable coefficient of probability.

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
kamikazesasquat --- Perhaps if you saw yourself in the mirror, you would choose a side! But then, I am assuming a "no hands" situation. If you are holding the pipe in your hand, that's a different story.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Just came across this topic and have been wondering if I was weird for a while now; I too hold the pipe predominantly in my right hand but clench on the left. I write right handed, throw right, golf right, and kick right but I shoot left, and play hockey and lacrosse left.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
I always smoke on the left, but I have a partial denture on the right and can't hold a pipe very securely on that side.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
An interesting question. Though I am right handed, I usually hold my pipe in my left hand. I think mainly because I use my right hand for my lighter. I will switch to the right hand from time to time. I rarely clench, but if I do it is on the right side.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Mostly clench on the right but I switch it up if I'm smoking for more than 15 mins. I use both hands but light with my right so hold the pipe with my left or just clench.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I smoke predominantly using my left hand on the left side. I use my right hand sometimes, but typically switch to my left hand after a bit. Which is weird, because I do almost everything right handed.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I'm right-handed, but the pipe is always in the left side and I use my left hand (mostly) for the pipe (and cigars). This leaves my right hand free for my drink.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am left handed so I clench on the right side only and use my left hand to light my pipe. I don't know why but it feels completely unnatural to clench on the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.