PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Wow, this is an old thread.
I personally have never used filters, ever. This is just per the advice I was given when I first started. However, searock has a great idea! I just might have to try this in one of my Dr. Grabows. I don't really have tongue bite problems when I draw gently, nor do I notice any gurgling or anything. I do notice that my smoke feels wet, if that makes sense. May just have to give it a shot since I keep balsa around for fly tying.

bassem

Might Stick Around
Nov 20, 2009
Filters are mainly used in Europe and specifically Germany. You can rarely find a German smoking a non filtered pipe. Adapters are made to replace filters should you like purchasing a filtered pipe.

It is recommended to replace filters after each pipe smoke. The whole purpose of using filters as the Germans claim is to reduce dramatically the moisture that is usually absorbed by a pipe cleaner and to make the smoke draw a little bit cooler.

The most common filters sold are manufactured by VAUEN and they are pipe makers as well. Savinelli pipes using 9mm Balsa will accomodate the regular Vauen filters. However the 6mm Savinelli pipes uses only the Balsa filters.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I have a pipe made by Henryk Worobiec from Poland. It uses the 9mm Dr. Perl filters.

I do sometimes find that using the filter can make an unpalatable tobacco easier to smoke.

Sometimes even making it even pleasurable.

In my view, having at least one pipe that uses a quality filter is a good thing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@bassem, Thanks for the information on Vauen and Savinelli filters.

@searock, Great tip on home made balsa filters. We often overlook the obvious. :oops:

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I have both filtered and unfiltered pipes. They all serve their purpose. Bottom line is "to each, their own".

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I also like the Savinelli balsa "filters." Of course, they aren't filters at all in the same way that Medicos and paper filters are. A better word would be "insert." They are triangular so the smoke goes around and not through them, and the insert picks up excess moisture and a little bit of tar. I always change them after one use. They definitely pick up a lot of moisture, but the downside is that you cannot pass a pipe cleaner through it.
Even less a filter are the Brigham rock maple inserts, which are basically just a wooden tube. A pipe cleaner can pass through them, and they do a great job. With a good rinse after each use and swab with some alcohol every 4 or 5 smokes, they can last for 30 or so smokes without a problem.
To each their own. I think my Savinellis draw perfectly with the insert, and whether it's the great smoking qualities of the pipes or the inserts, I never get any gurgle in them and thus it doesn't bother me that I can't use a pipe cleaner while I'm smoking. I only have one Brigham, so I don't smoke it very often. In any event, my filterless pipes smoke well too, so I'm not sure it even matters.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I actually like filters, finally got some filter pipes and decided to give it a try with some medico's, and I have to say I enjoy it. No gurgle, very cool smoke, nice draw, I like them. I also got a peterson with the charcoal filter, I've been enjoying that as well.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I only have 9mm pipes, and I use both Savinelli filter and Vauen filter. Vauen 9mm filters can usually fit into any 9mm pipe but Savinelli's can only go into Savinelli pipes.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Somewhere I have a box of balsa from my radio controlled airplane days.

I'll have to find it and make some filters just to try them out.
Mark

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Well said tedvig, couldn't agree more.

My briars and cobs are a mix.
The draw is what I find to be the contributing factor whether to have or have not......

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
The filter needs to be replaced pretty often. i replace mine after every use, but you can get away with a couple of uses. I don't go out of my way to use them, but i will use them whenever i use a filter pipe. I find that with some cheaper tobaccos like captain black (which I personally enjoy) that the filter makes it taste better by removing a decent amount of oily and foul tasting tar. I would experiment to decide what you like best, it's all about preference TO EACH HIS OWN.
Ahhhhh, spacecowboy. The voice of reason!

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I personally like pipe filters, but not the Medico paper ones. Junk and if you use them they need to be replaced every smoke. I recommend you try Savinelli 6mm balsa filters. They also need to be replaced after every smoke though, bUT better draw and doesnt effect the taste. Helps remove moisture aND bite. The draw is huge if you use no filter with the stock stem. Try a Forever stem if you don't want to use a filter.

sagepipe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2014
When I used a filter, I always kept a fresh on in each smoke. I no longer use them and run a pipe cleaner through the stem it it begins to gurgle.

Status
Not open for further replies.