PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Last night I pulled out my favorite pipe. A Peterson POTY 2011. I checked the draw before packing only to find that it was totally blocked! Not only that but there was so much goopy carbon and stinky dottle filling the pipe that the bowl was totally full! Somebody had stolen my perfectly maintained pipe,and behind my back abused it to the point of destruction! I only hoped that this was just a nightmare.....and it was! This was the first pipe related dream I've ever had. Has anyone else experienced such an event?

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have had many weird dreams, and even one about a pipe. My pipe dream/nightmare had to do with a pipe that I had ordered not ever coming to my house no matter how hard I tried to catch the mailman. The mind is a strange beast.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
The only pipe nightmare I ever had turned into a real one. This was back about 40 years ago, when I was living in Miami.
I dreamed that I was smoking a pipe, and the tobacco just smelled and tasted really foul, and got worse as I smoked more. I woke to find that the house was on fire and full of smoke - it was a rare cold night, and somehow the insulation around the gas furnace had caught on fire.
The furnace was right in the hall opposite the boys' rooms, so I had to get them up and out quickly, then go back in several times to drag out my then-wife's poodles, who were cowering and hiding under anything they could find.
So then we're all standing out in the front yard in our PJ's, me, wife, boys, poodles, on the coldest night Miami has experienced in years, and watching our house burn.
It took six months of repairs, with us living in a crappy motel, to get the house back together again.
So much for pipe dreams. I'm glad I haven't had one since. And I'll never have a gas furnace again, either.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Wow 4dot what a harrowing story...that is a true nightmare. Makes you think of how quickly things can change.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I dreamed that I was smoking a pipe, and the tobacco just smelled and tasted really foul, and got worse as I smoked more. I woke to find that the house was on fire and full of smoke
Being a pipe smoker may have saved you and your family. Had it not been for the pipe dream, which seems to have been conjured from your intimate relationship with smoke, you may not have awoke in time.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"Being a pipe smoker may have saved you and your family. Had it not been for the pipe dream, which seems to have been conjured from your intimate relationship with smoke, you may not have awoke in time."
You're absolutely right, and I thought about that many times afterwards.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
It was a few months after I had just started smoking pipes. I had bought a couple Missouri Meerschaum cobs as my first pipes and were enjoying them, but I wanted a briar. So I went to the B and M where I had bought my first pipe and pipe tobacco and saw a pipe that I really wanted. It was a Savinelli Duca Carlo. It was also $50. That is a lot of money for something that I had no clue if I would like or could potentially ruin through inexperience. That pipe called to me in my dreams. Now I rarely dream, but I had very vivid dreams about this pipe. I would dream of it sitting there with a white backdrop almost like watching a commercial. The angle would rotate just showing this pipe off. I had to have it and I went and got it. I love that pipe.
Sometime later I had the same thing happen with a Baronet Bryere. A very large, rusticated beauty of a pipe. I had dreams of it off and on until I finally got it.
I did have a nightmare about a pipe once too. I dreamed I had just gotten this really expensive pipe. I was so proud of it. As I was smoking it, I noticed a black spot start to appear on the side. It kept getting bigger and I felt it and to my horror, my finger pushed through the bowl. It was all soggy and the pipe was ruined. I awoke in a cold sweat.
Can you tell that I may just be a tad obsessed with pipes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blessedly, from my point of view, I don't remember dreams on a day-to-day basis. When it has been

proposed that I keep a dream log, I decline. There's good reason for letting the brain do its work

without intruding much. (For people who feel otherwise, I sympathize. This is subjective!)

So, no pipe dreams for me, that I remember. I do occasionally hanker for a nice bowl of Dunhill

Mixture 965 when I awake briefly to turn over, or something, in the middle of the night. My dad

used to say, his first bowl of tobacco was a principle motivation for getting up in the morning, along

with the big breakfast he always ate first.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I would dream of it sitting there with a white backdrop almost like watching a commercial. The angle would rotate just showing this pipe off...
If that isnt your brain telling you that you need something I dont know what is! haha

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Many believe that your dreams are the subconscious mind dealing with information and emotions. The unfettered mind processing thouht and emotions that we do not deal with consciously during our day. Things we stuff down and thoughts we do not give place to.

I think your dream is telling you that you are obsessing over that pipe too much. You mind that pipe meticulously handling and cleaning your pipe for fear of it being damaged or even ruined. Its an unhealthy state over a matterial object.

Its pretty hard to ruin a pipe. I have seen some pretty rough looking estate pipes be restored to beautiful and well functioning devices. I know its an expensive piece but its still briar wood which is tough stuff if ya ever carved it, and a stem made of what amounts to a better quality plastic. With a big hole and a small one through which you burn tobacco and suck on the smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.