PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pask

Lurker
Dec 13, 2013
I tried this last night in a MM cob with some MM 965. Worked really well, the smoke was extremely dry the entire time. Great idea, and thanks for sharing!

egyptian

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
more of a sponge for juices
which is some sort of filtering :)

the idea is i got best of both worlds; unfiltered and filtered; flavor without moisture
Andrew .. glad you liked it

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I found this old post and was curious so I gave it a try in my cob this morning on the way to work. It works really good. Dry smoke no moisture at the end of the stem and it restricts the direct flow if air. In my opinion the ID of the stems on the MM cobs are huge and could use a little restriction. Any ways it worked really good. I did notice a slight taste difference on the initial light up but after a few drags it was just good dry tobacco smoke and flavor. I will probably not use this method on every pipe but on my cobs it works good. Also I cut a pipe cleaner in half and folded it once. Using a whole pipe cleaner folded twice didn't fit.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
An interesting and resourceful idea and I have no doubt that it's effective. As far as employing the pipe cleaner in an MM cob, I personally don't see the need as one of the things I love about them is that they tend to smoke very dry. The filtering aspect may have some value though and I might give it a try the next time I load up one of my cobs.

larrylegend

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
I use a pipe cleaner cut in half and then each half folded in half again in my cobs. I have trouble with moisture in the stem and with the amber colored stems you can see it form. I am sure some of this is attributed to my technique and sometimes the type of tobacco I am smoking.
I find that the pipe cleaner filters work pretty well for absorbing moisture. Also, after a few bowls worth they do become noticeably darker, which leads me to believe they are absorbing something else other than just excess moisture.
I have pipes that I do not use this system with as well though so I'm not a filter user all the time. If I remember I will try and save a few of my used "filters" to show what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.