PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagepipe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2014
I have been looking at some pipes I would like my wife to buy me for our fifth year anniversary (the "wooden" year). I have narrowed my search to three pipes from three different companies. My question is, of the three pipe manufacturers listed below, which is the higher quality brand (generally speaking)?
Savinelli, Bjarne Viking, Rattray

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think Savinelli. I have a couple of them and both are great smokers.
I have a Rattray bulldog, about a $95.00 pipe. It had a lacquered finish -- which I didn't like -- so I removed the lacquer. The pipe turned out really nice, but I discovered that the lacquer finish concealed several fills. That isn't a deal breaker for me because the pipe smokes well enough now; but I thought the lacquer finish thing was a bit deceptive. These pix are after the lacquer was removed.

You may be able to see small black spots -- fills that were not visible when a glossy lacquer and dark stain covered the pipe.

RattrayNewRight.jpg

RattrayNewLeft.jpg

RattrayNewFront.jpg
RattrayNewBott.jpg

I never owned a Bjarne Viking.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Savinelli would also get my vote.....they range from inexpensive to higher end, so pick out the range you want before sending the wife off to get one.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
With Savinelli you've got such a huge range in quality. A Savinelli Autograph is a spectacular pipe. And can be in the thousands. You can also get one for $100. Set her lose on Savinelli would be my vote.

Jan 8, 2013
Between the three, Savinelli will be considered a higher grade of pipe I believe. However, I have a Bjarne Viking Houston (very affordable pipe) that I'm very happy with. I've yet to own a Rattray's although I've been checking them out for a while. Some are quite nice it seems, but I can't comment personally on them. Gigger mentioned the Royal Flush line of Nordings above. They vary in price according to their grade. Jacks are around 100 dollars, Queens are about 120 or so, Kings are around 140, Ace are about 200 dollars, and Jokers are about 240 dollars. I have an Ace (See avatar photo) that I'm very very proud of lol. But if you're interested in only the three you mentioned above, I'd say Savinelli. I've never heard anything negative about them. I have one (not my best smoker) but it's a low end unfinished Sav so I can't really say much.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Savinelli's get my vote every time although I like a range of different brands, however you only mentioned three and the best of them is the Savinelli in my "beginners" opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.