PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I wouldn't think of tobacco in terms of better or worse. Capt black is just fine. I would just get three cobs. One for aromatics. One for Latakia blends. One for everything else. Ultimately you'll end up with more. You might then want another for Straight Virginia. And a other for Burley blends. And still another for Virginia Perique. And maybe one more for Virginia Burley. You get the idea.

You could also just buy one pipe and smoke everything in it to see how that goes too. This hobby is limitless.

After cobs you have limitless selection of briar and meerschaum as well. You'll end up with dozens of pipes and even more tobacco types.

Welcome!!!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I had the same concerns as you starting out but I’d suggest focusing on getting your “smoking hours” up. The more you smoke, the more you’ll understand the pronounced differences and subtle nuances (I’ve just learned the former recently and am very much working on the latter).

ZaysPiping

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
Gastonia, NC
I wouldn't think of tobacco in terms of better or worse. Capt black is just fine. I would just get three cobs. One for aromatics. One for Latakia blends. One for everything else. Ultimately you'll end up with more. You might then want another for Straight Virginia. And a other for Burley blends. And still another for Virginia Perique. And maybe one more for Virginia Burley. You get the idea.

You could also just buy one pipe and smoke everything in it to see how that goes too. This hobby is limitless.

After cobs you have limitless selection of briar and meerschaum as well. You'll end up with dozens of pipes and even more tobacco types.

Welcome!!!
Do u have any tobacco recommendations? i try looking at YouTube but it’s many different recommendations…i want to try Virginia blends if u have any favorites. Also thanks for the quick response!

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Everyone is going to have a different opinion about this. Some people will smoke any blend in any pipe and don't worry at all about ghosting. Others go so far as to dedicate a pipe, or even an entire rotation of pipes, to each blend they smoke.

I dedicate a pipe to a blend category, completely arbitrarily based on how I personally categorize blend types in my own mind. I would start with one pipe for anything with latakia, one for aromatics, and one for non-aromatics (non latakia). That should give you good separation so that you don't have any weird crossover flavors. From there you can sort of figure out your needs as your experience grows and you get your preferences figured out. Like you might want to add a pipe just for aromatic-English blends, or perique heavy blends, et cetera.
Ghosting isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be, but sometimes it can make things a little... weird. For example, smoking a full English in a pipe previously used with Captain Black Cherry would be likely to yield odd-tasting results.

Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake is a good place to start if you're interested in Virginias. Don't be put off by the flake format - it's easy to break apart and prepare, and is pleasantly soft and lightly sweet, not bitey at all. Also check out Cornell & Diehl Yorktown.

Reactions: OzPiper and Coreios

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Do u have any tobacco recommendations?
What have you tried and liked so far? There are so many blends out there it's mind-boggling.
I would make an order for some single ounces of bulk tobacco blends. You could get an ounce each of an English, a straight Virginia, a "codger" burley blend, some aromatics, etc to see what you like or don't like. This is a great way to try a wide variety on the cheap. Just make sure to jar them if you aren't going to smoke them right away.

ZaysPiping

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
Gastonia, NC
What have you tried and liked so far? There are so many blends out there it's mind-boggling.
I would make an order for some single ounces of bulk tobacco blends. You could get an ounce each of an English, a straight Virginia, a "codger" burley blend, some aromatics, etc to see what you like or don't like. This is a great way to try a wide variety on the cheap. Just make sure to jar them if you aren't going to smoke them right away.
How much would a ounce of 4 blends last me if I smoked twice a day (idk im just speculating usage rn)

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
You're going to get so many answers. My opinion is cobs dont ghost easily and you can sun dry them to get the ghost out. Captain Black isnt bad about ghosting anyways. I would just smoke it and enjoy it. I would and have smoked CB in my Briar pipes too. I really don't taste it. I'd only be concerned about those harsh fruity blends like cherry. Even those, I wouldn't worry about a cob just clean the stem.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So i have two corn cob pipes that i have ordered and wondered if i shouldn’t touch the “country gentlemen” with my aromatic captain black and only use my regular one with it till i get better tobacco or do i just rotate every week or every day???
What you are asking is
1) "Should (you) dedicate a pipe to aromatics and keep the other for other blends?"
2) "How often should (you) rotate my pipe(s) ?"

Like all things - it depends !
How sensitive are you to "ghosts" ? Do you like "untainted" flavours from your smokes ?
How "wet" do you smoke ?

Cobs are quite forgiving, but they will "ghost"
They smoke drier than briars, but if you smoke wet, they will "sour"

Some are not at all sensitive to ghosts.
And some actually like the combination of a "ghost" and what they are smoking - (?)adding complexity
If you are not at all bothered, or simple do not care, then smoke what you like in the pipes - different genres one after another in the same pipe

I am in the camp where I do not like my flavours sullied by previous blends/smokes.
I am lucky to have multiple pipes, so having separate pipes for different genres of tobacco is not a problem.

If you are a wet smoker, then resting your pipe after a couple of smokes and allowing them to dry thoroughly before reusing is a good idea

Hope this helps

Reactions: eljimmy

kbussell

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Highlands Ranch, CO
Do u have any tobacco recommendations?
My Current favs:
-Cult Blood Red Moon - currently available at Pipes & Cigars
-Lamb with Jam - Available at Country Squire
-Hobbit's Weed - Arlington Pipe & Cigar Lounge
-Lane Very Cherry - tobaccopipes.com or anywhere
-Vauen Auenland The Shire - tobaccopipes.com

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
It also depends on the aro. Some will nuke your pipe. One I smoke makes the pipe literally smell from a distance for a day and is ghosted for sure. Cobs are cheap...may as well separate them.

Reactions: OzPiper

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Starting Virginia flake try 507c for a baseline then Newminster 400 then cd opening night. You can try Stokkebye 402 and capstan blue as well

For Virginia perique try escudo, orlik golden slice or stokkebye 400. Then you have watch City flake 558, rouxgaroux, and rythym & blues hard to find though 558 might be in stock.

Burley and Virginia burley try MacBaren golden extra, hh old dark flake or Boswell prem burley. Old joe Krantz Blue label. Sir Walter Raleigh.

You should try some Boswell piper pleasure and Penn. Dutch treat. For aros

Figure 4g per bowl avg . The way to know is weigh your pipe before and pack your pipe and then weigh on a milligram scale. I use one that weighs 600g max 0.1 g accuracy for blending test amounts for my own blends. 20 bucks on Amazon.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
How much would a ounce of 4 blends last me if I smoked twice a day (idk im just speculating usage rn)
Depends on the blend, the size of your pipe's bowl, and how you prepare and pack the tobacco. I think a range of 15-25 bowls per oz is a decent ballpark estimate.

What I do is buy single ounces of blends I want to try, throw the ones I want to smoke immediately into mason jars (which provide a great seal while also making the tobacco accessible), and heat seal the ones I don't plan to smoke right away in mylar food storage bags. This keeps them fresh and moist until I decide to smoke them, at which point they too get jarred.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I only keep Va/Pers on hand regularly with a little Westminster for a Latakia hit now and again. So, I smoke them in all of my pipes.