Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
shopka2-112x150.jpg
This is Pete and I in my office.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I'm totally fascinated by your job coffinmaker.
I always smoke at work since I work from home. It is a good way to take a break, otherwise it is stressing to stop for no reason...

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I think the most important question is if you ever test them by taking a nap in one???
As far as smoking and working just make shure not to smoke while your using your saw... unless your trying to add to your blend.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Thanks for the beautiful music! Our Pascha is the first Sunday in May. We have the all night vigil, starting Saturday night around 9:00 PM and fasting until 3:30 AM Sunday morning. I love that service!!
Sometimes I give them a test drive. Mainly to see if there is any shifting in the bent wooden sides. They are comfortable. Can't smoke while doing the linings, ashes are hard to remove from white satin. Saw dust and tobacco, nasty!

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@johnnyii, After much sanding, then sand some more, the stain requested by the customer, sanded lightly and another light coat of stain wiped off quickly. Three to four coats of polyurethane brushed on or furniture wax, customer's option. Same as for furniture, than waxed. Eco-green sometimes a coat of beeswax formula. Can smoke like mad when working on eco-green boxes. I don't like laying in them, no padding. I truly don't like doing rush jobs. Darn, you do know you're going to die, get it ahead of time. Fishing season is starting!!

@gtclark, My wife and I spent hours listening to that site's music, thank you!!

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Dude, no offense but coffins, smoking and good times don't go together, visually.
I'm offended :puffy:
Not really.
Personally, I find there's nothing better than smoking a pipe while working on a project that requires a bit of thought and attention to detail, and I don't imagine there are many projects that are more conducive to mindful contemplation. There's an element of serenity communicated in the photos that, to me, communicate "good times".

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Coffinmaker: the picture in your avatar with the pipe coffin. Did you make that? That would be a great way to lay the deceased pipes to rest!

pipemarshal82

Lurker
Apr 19, 2016
Hey coffinmaker, I'm Orthodox as well, actually, just finished school last year to become a deacon. I too am a convert. I know another Orthodox coffin maker here in Florida, I thought it was you at first but it says you're in PA, how many can there be?

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@didimauw - yes, that was a sales sample of a full size one.
@pipemarshal82 - Glory to Jesus Christ! Congratulations Fr.Dcn. Which church are you connected with and the Priest's name?? How many coffin makers? A few, no wonder business is dead. What do you smoke and in what?

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Some of you might have watched it.

There is stunning movie about that profession in Japan.

The movie's name is "Okuribito", "Departures" in English.

It's absolutely beautiful, strong recommendation to watch it.
Here is a link to the IMDb page:

Okuribito

pipemarshal82

Lurker
Apr 19, 2016
Hey coffinmaker, thanks! They haven't ordained me to the diaconate yet however, they ordained me a subdeacon for now. We were a little between priests for a while and they wanted to make sure we had a steady permanent priest at our parish before they elevate me, they should be doing it soon though.
I go to Saint Basil The Great in Silver Springs Florida. He is here is our website: www.stbasilorthodox.com. Our priest is Fr. Dimitri Leussis, he's a great guy. He's on loan from the Carpatho-Russian church.
Lately I've been enjoying primarily a bulldog style Savinelli pipe that was gifted to me by my mother not too long ago. For the last six months I have been enjoying primarily va/per blends, i.e. escudo, fire storm, OGS, and the occasional swra.
Of course, I am always experimenting with new blends, that's why I joined the Tobacco OTM club at pipes and cigars. I also have Peterson, Butz Choquin, Nording, Graco, among others...can't have too many!!!
Nice to meet you!

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016

I understand. I'm a fill in, on stand by. Christ The Saviour, christthesaviourhbg.org in Harrisburg, Pa. Fr. Stephen Vernak and Fr.Daniel Ressetar. When I'm not helping in the Sanctuary, I'm photographing.
Strong tobaccos for me, BUT I am getting a couple pouches for Carter Hall, as recommended by a couple on this site for the new corn cob I ordered. Than I need to ask myself, if this Carter Hall is that good why am I buying high end tobacco? I smoked that stuff back in the 1960's!

Status
Not open for further replies.