PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Haha, Perique, i see your point. Tempting.
And I couldn't agree more with

As with food, don't smoke ( or eat) anything designed in a corporate boardroom.
The thing is this...

I am a runner. who likes smoking. And I don't want to choose. So cigarettes, for obvious reason will be a NO for me as I can't run more that 20 minutes if I smoke something that I inhale. so no no no.

Man this discussion really raised a lot of good opinions that really help focus determintation.
So I will focus on pipe smoking. the recreational habit of lighting one up to think about life, the universe and everything.

I'll experiment with higher nicotine tobacco and see what it does.

Any recommendation ?
About Lane-1Q, I am tempted to be tempted. I like aromatic tobaccos but I already have plenty so it'll have to wait.
Once again, thanks all for sharing your opinions.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I'll experiment with higher nicotine tobacco and see what it does. Any recommendation ?

Peterson's University Flake, GL Pease Quiet Nights, Solani Aged Burley Flake

beo-1013-600x448.jpg

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Another perspective. I hope this helps.
I am a competitive powerlifter. Nothing special but I'm ok for my age and weight. Just a stupid hobby actually.
Anyway, because I need to make my weight for competition I track my diet fairly closely and generally need to loose 5-6lbs before a competition. While there is nothing particularly fun about this, I have learned a few things that might be helpful. First and most important is that when a screw up happens, the important thing is NOT that it happened but what happens next. In other words, if I ate too much for lunch it doesn't mean I need to starve for dinner or make up for it latter or, especially give up. Secondly, it makes me look forward to lunch or diner or snacks or whatever. Long term fasting is very bad for strength anyway. Perpetual dieters always make these mistakes. Cut back a few hundred calories a day. Maybe don't eat the day of the weigh in but certainly don't suffer.
By analogy for an addicted smoker, if you have a cigarette, so what? Just don't say well I had one I might as well have ten or 100 and now you can look forward to your pipe or whatever as a reward not as a nessasary thing.
Good luck my friend!

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
@sallow, thanks for the suggestions ! I hope my local tobacconist here in Wuhan has some of them. If not, I'll have to turn to smokingpipes, but shipping fees are exhorbitant.
@bcharles : thanks for the analogy and advice. Each and everyone react differently to triggers. I have to learn to control mine.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Some pipers I know who were former cigarette smokers inhale one or two drags after the true light and then puff from there on. They say it gives them the hit, and then they can slow down and enjoy the taste while the rest of the orally absorbed nic catches up.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I used to smoke about a pack per day. When I picked up the pipe I abstained completely from smoking cigarettes for a few months but then it became difficult because I needed my "hit" sometimes when I didn't have the time to prepare/smoke a bowl. I then started smoking cigarettes again but the approach changed.
I now smoke about 1 or 2 cigarettes per day, usually in the morning and at night. I no longer feel the effects of cigarettes on my lungs because I simply cut my consumption by 9/10th.. I no longer give it much thought and I'm grateful for the step of cutting back so much. Maybe one day I'll cut it down completely.... who knows?

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
It's a beast to quit. I have an old Grabow filter pipe (first pipe I purchased years ago) I keep it packed with the same menthol cig tobacco I smoked when I get an overwhelming urge I can puff and inhaled a bit to satisfy the cravings. Otherwise I prefer my unfiltered pipes and stick with Royal Yacht(my go to),Golden Slice,Rattrays Silver Flake and GH Brown Bogie. P&C Royal Yachts on sale.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I hear you smoothsailing. When my time comes I guess. I don't inhale my pipe at all though. I tend to smoke strongish tobaccos regularly - JKP, Irish Flak, ODF, etc. Which satisfies my nic crave without the need to inhale.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
For me it was breaking old routines.( like shaving went hand and hand with a Cig) And starting new one's. I now can't wait for that first bowl and a cup of coffee. I leave myself a little more time in the morning to sit & enjoy, also I flee the bedroom before my wife light's up.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I don't envy you your position. I find that I have to be mindful that I'm "playing with fire", nowadays. I've never smoked a cigarette, and to be honest I've always thought they smelled terrible--until now, that is. Now I smell someone's cig after I haven't smoked a pipe in a while, and I start to think that there's some part of it that actually smells good, in a way. So I know that I'm one bad move away from getting hooked.
I guess my only suggestion is to keep some cigars around. You mentioned that you fall back to cigarettes when you go out with friends because pipes are a hassle--true, but cigars aren't. Once you get it cut and lit, theres no bother with tamping, or relighting, or passing a pipe cleaner, or any of that other nonsense...
...it's a wonder we fiddle with these damned things, isn't it? :crazy:

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
So I know that I'm one bad move away from getting hooked.

indeed elbert, that being said, it's about good measures, right ?
about cigars though, I don't know. I don't feel I am there yet, or ever will be. I never had the attraction to cigars.

I am quite happy with my pipes, and only need to find a way to use them more smoothly. I find that maybe the hassle came because I don't have the right gestures yet.

Now things are smoothlier, I pack a little less crapily, less mess, more fun :)

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
That's fair. To be honest, I'm not speaking from a wealth of experience on that front either--I've only ever smoked one cigar. I guess what I was trying to say is that if you are, one day, tempted to reach for the cigs again, for convenience's sake, it might make sense to have a cigar handy as an easier alternative than a pipe.
My "addiction" (and I hesitate to even call it that, because I don't want to trivialize what people with real addictions are going through) is to Coca-Cola. I work in a restaurant, I get it free, and even though I know it's terrible for me, I drink it all day long. I've quit several times (longest was six months), but I just feel like crap without it, because of the sugar and the caffeine. During that six months without pop, it was important for me to have a small way to 'cheat' every once in a while without risking a relapse. In my case it was 'craft' root beers. I love root beer--I love trying different kinds, comparing the way each blend handles the relationship between the sweetener and the spices, watching that frothy head foam up in a frosted mug, etc.
So to conclude my rather long and belabored analogy (sorry about that... :oops:), I was just thinking that the cigar could be for you what the craft root beer was for me--a small way to 'cheat' without risking a relapse. In any case, good luck! I love my pipes, but it's a lot easier to love them sitting down. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.