Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My antiques :

Antiquepipes.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Arthur, absolutely stunning collection. Any idea which is the oldest?

...and how did you come by them? (flea markets, estate sales, e-bay?...)

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Unclearthur just wanted to comend you on that collection. Even the pipe cases are beautiful. Nice collection.

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
I . . . must . . . resist . . . the . . . temptation . . . of . . . PAD . . .
It's no use. Great looking pipes guys.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks all! I picked up most of them on Ebay. I am not sure of the oldest but I did manage to date the silver mounted meerschaum to 1915 by searching out information on the Second Lt. it was presented to.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Those are some beautiful Grandi's JC. I love the one on the back left!
P1010047.jpg

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Well after those beauts the mood is just right for a big let down.
Here's my first briar pipe. Made from a pre drilled block.
Bad photos. Taken with a BBerry and too much light I guess. I'll take some better ones when I get a chance.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Not bad at all, Jonesing. Good effort. I like the bowl. If you were going to change just one thing, maybe a little more sanding where the stem meets the shank to get a more consistent taper. Have you got the itch to start another one? If so, welcome to the guild. Your ability to work from home sure would be helpful to me. Work, sand, work, sand, work, sand, grab a beer.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Looks great joensing, now you just have to sand, sand and sand some more. It looks good though.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
This is funny.
Phil and Sappo, that pipe is complete! I get what you're saying though. The photos really suck.
This ain't no masterpiece by any stretch. But it is shaped and sanded better than the photos show.
I do think maybe I overwaxed it and it's making it fade to dull. It's shiny as all get out when at the wheel. Then it dulls out a bit. Almost seems the wax and then buff actually dulled it in comparison to what it looked like after tripoli buffing. I did soemthign wrong somewhere along the line. Practice practice practice.
Rafter: You're exactly right in the shank/stem. I got myself in trouble with thinning the shank a bit too far especially at the top where I had started to flatten the mortise wall. I decided to sort of leave well enough alone and not to sand the stem any more than I did, mostly because this is a practice pipe and I didn't want to just keep making it worse.
I did what I hoped. I learned a lot.
I tried out some rustication and contrast staining and both turned out pretty well considering first attempts. It pretty much sucks, you understand but it doesn't suck as bad as it could and I think I know how to do it better next time. Continuous improvement. Just like anything we choose to practice.
I am definitely making more. Starting to eyeball an undrilled block now matter of fact.
By biggest issue currently is I don't' have a rounded bit to drill the bowl. Only a forstner bit. I can order one but I keep eying that block and eying the drill press and thinking "drill baby drill".

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
The drill bits sold by Pimo are just ground down from a standard spade bit and then sharpened. If you have a grinder, you could make one pretty quick.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I don't. I had my grandpa's old bench grinder but it finally went to hell.
But, let me see...the bit set is like $40.
Or I could buy a new grinder, which undoubtedly, I will use a lot. Maybe use it for buffing so I don't have to change out the buffs after each step.
I see another bout of ToAD. (Tool acquisition disorder) coming on. I really need a band saw too. Never had one. For home improvement and cabinet making stuff a table saw and miter saw, a sawzall and a small scroll saw always got me by. But of course my new hobby almost dictates a bad saw for initial cutting. I used a dremel and a cutting wheel on this pipe but it was a real PITA and left me with a lot of avoidable rough shaping.
I think I'll start a new Pipe Making thread and get this stuff out of pic of pipes. Some could likely give a rat's butt hole about this stuff.
Thanks for the input and advice guys. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.