PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Here's a photo of the new (unused) Ropp I got off eBay this week (http://pipesmagazine.com/members/jcosmoasp/album/picture/169). I had a very pleasant smoke of Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake. Received the Savinelli Baronet Bruyere lumberman minutes ago, with a tin of Plum Cake, the aroma of which transported me to the 1960s. Can't wait to light up. More pics to follow of the lumberman and the Freehand cobber as well. Waiting on the next eBay Ropp, a tall, somewhat smaller version from Michigan.

All in all, the first real week of being back into the realm of pipes and great tobaccos after so much time could not have gone any better.
Bruce.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pipes with great character! And they all look like fun to smoke and tinker with.

Thanks for posting the pix, I appreciate the time and effort.

That freehand cob looks like it has a vulcanite stem. Is that right?

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Thanks all, for the positive comments. I'm not certain what the stem is made of, cortezattic, but that seems right. It's not acrylic, for sure. It's a great smoking pipe for under $30US. The Ropp is a cool smoke, and the Savinelli draws very easy as well. So far, I'd have to say that my return to pipe smoking has been very gratifying.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
ghost45 nice pipes. The stems look nice and clean I can't see thru my stems ,the tar etc.I tried strong booze but it didn't do much. Any tips? Thanks.

Power to the Pipe!!!

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Sorry Brazz No Magic.

All of those pipes except for the Straight Corn Cob are under a year old.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Here's the latest Ropp I picked up on eBay late last week. It's a Ropp Alpine, and smokes cool and fairly long, for a smaller pipe. I like that the bowl is positioned under my face, for ease of lighting and maximum aroma intake. I think I'll fire it up right now!

Bruce.

DSCN1717.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Whoa! Pretty nifty Bruce. That's a nice hands-free shape too, with plenty of bite leverage. Great eBay score! Congrats.

(It's always great when there's a picture posted with the chatter; thanks, I appreciate the time you took to do that for us.)

Hmmm... let's see... If you get on it right now, your raw cherry stock might be ready for shaping by retirement time.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
A large redwood limb came down near the house during yesterday's blow, and I cut some promising lengths from it. I sealed the ends with candle wax and put them up in the garage rafters. I know redwood has some fire resistance, but am unsure of it's suitability otherwise. I'll see to the cherry this weekend--the bow saw blade broke on the redwood and I'll need another. I've scouted some dwarf birches not far away for some stem material; I can cut those with a brush lopper.
Bruce

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I recently bought the Bent Washington corn cob pipe it smokes really good. It is all I have been smoking out of recently. I broke the stem on my other bent corn cob and gave away the other cob to a friend.
9bd8fa4a1fb1074f1e2e9b41d7b57f8e.jpg

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
If I get another COB I will probably order it off of aristocob.com supposedly MM gives them Pipes with bigger bowls.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I understand that cobs eventually wear out, and should just be replaced when they do, but I have been smoking mine off and on for about 25 years now. Still looking, good and smoking great!
mondaypictures015.jpg

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
That is probably the sexist Corn Cob pipe I have ever seen, it is bad ass.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I don't think I have ever been speechless when I saw a pipe before!
I don't like the current freehand pipes at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.