PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@woodsroad: My bro took seven pipes....
Glad to hear that you were able to share this with your brother, that's a very good thing, indeed.
Well, best check your shoes, 'cause you done stepped in it deep. What a fantastic thing to have happen to you, especially when it sounds like you've had your challenges. Sip slowly and be sure to talk to the tobacco. Tell it that it's home now.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I remember the op, it didn't sound anywhere near as big as that. Congrats.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
27 years old, graduated from college last year.
Very sad story; only 27 and had to give up the pipe.
I know an elderly gentleman who no longer smokes his pipe after years of enjoyment, but he still keeps his substantial pipe collection on display and speaks of them with a wide smile on his face.
However, I'm glad to hear somebody will breathe new life into sjb3's collection of pipes and tobacco.
Let's raise our pipes to sjb3 in honor of his generosity and to his good health!
And raise them again to simnettpratt for his moment of good fortune!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
You got it dottie. Yeah, it was for medical reasons and he didn't want to say what. Lost his whole damn cellar and all his pipes too. I'll be raising my pipes to that guy for the next ten years. Can't believe I didn't get his name. Also can't believe I didn't kiss him on his freaking face! Just didn't realize what was happening till I got back to the house and unpacked it.
Remember my name guys: no one Secret Santa me EVER!!!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's not too late to track him down and thank him in person. Sell a pipe and buy him lunch.
A total stranger saved me from drowning when I was 3 years old. I had wandered in to the water was on the bottom of the lake, and he unwittingly stepped on me. Before my parents knew that I was missing, he had me out of the water, over his shoulder, then mouth-to-mouth. We never got his name.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
That is incredible! Congratulations! It is awesome the power that generous acts can achieve. What is even better is that it went to someone that not only truly appreciates it, but was in need as well. Those are the gifts that make the lasting impressions.
So, if you ever get interviewed by Brian on the Radio Show, you can use this as your most memorable pipe memory!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@woodsroad: I offered him free tech help for life but he was like dude, I'm 27, I don't need it. His account may still be active though. I need to tell him thank you and a send a link to this thread. I also promised to zap him when I get to send my CARE package. Also, if sandoval can get up to me, I've told him he can dig in.
Here's a bad closeup of the Nording Horn that's my favorite pipe.
IMG_2212_zpse0a82e74.jpg

Sorry to keep posting on this thread guys, but you can probably understand :)

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Really great story to see that a guy passes over his stash of pipes and tobaccos to someone that can enjoy them. Looks like the lad was a newer collector and got caught up in the TAD and PAD system like a lot of us. Hopefully he is doing well and I'm sure he is glad to know that you appreciate what he has left to you. Congrats and enjoy.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
simnetpratt, you make sure that whenever you are able, be it one year, five years or ten years down the line, you present this outstanding gentleman with a wonderful gift to thank him for this generosity. You estimate $10K so I suggest a gift of the value of at least $3K whenever you can. A wonderful watch, vintage car or a case of 21 year old single malt. Just something, no matter how long it takes. If I ever make it big or win the lottery, there are a few people I am going to track down, even if I have to hire a P.I. to let them know I have not forgotten them.

There's a lot made of paying your debts, maybe too much for those who hide behind it when what they really mean is "Give me what I am owed". I don't care how many beers a man owes me if he is unable to pay them back but treats me with respect. But some genrosity takes a lot of repaying and through the years a few people have helped me out in ways which were so important I would not be where I am today without them.

To the gentleman who gave this gift I raise a glass to you right now sir. [Wild Turkey 101 in fact, raised to my laptop screen]

May you be happy always.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The picture of you in a Miata with that pipe collection and tobacco cellar really deserves a scene in a movie.

I hope the donor does well; he sounds energetic and like he's doing well. And I hope you have years of

enjoyment from your instant and expansive rotation of pipes and tobacco.

Aug 1, 2012
That's something that happens less than once in a lifetime. Congrats to you and here's to the young gentleman's health.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
One good thing: he did say he was ok financially, but he wanted to give his cellar away 'in the spirit of piping'. Drove a van though, not exactly a Ferrari. It was a beloved, thought-out and cared-for cellar. I agree he caught the bug and came down with a severe case of PAD and TAD. I wish he wasn't sick, and we were just sharing a bowl out by the pool, with beers and girls in bikinis.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I was under the impression from the OP there may be a wife or something allergic to smoke and gave the ultimatum it's me or the pipes. Didn't get the impression it was a life threatening condition. Could even be now from insurance companies over charging premiums for smokers. Either way I suspect a woman involved in this decision, either way great score, considering you had half a tin you definitely deserved it. The only thing that puzzles me is the unsmoked pipes.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
What? That's awesome! Outstanding! Yeah, all unsmoked makes no sense to me either. Maybe my bro picked some of the smoked ones. He didn't want to say why he had to quit - this whole time I just assumed; never thought of a woman. Still sucks for him though.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
Did you step on a leprechaun or something? Very happy for your good fortune.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Simnettpratt:
I am so thrilled this came to you.
But, this wonderful gift is just that: a gift.
What you keep will smoke so much better if you keep your MkIV eyeballs peeled on this forum for FNGs who need help filling a rotation or trying new blends.
Most of us here have been the recipients of unparallelled acts of generosity. Now, you're in the driver's seat and it's your turn to be that guy. If funds are tight, go ahead and ask for cheap postage upfront. (Anything free has no value.) Just get behind the wheel, drive the damned bus, Simnettpratt, and pay this fucker forward.
Be a force of good.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.