PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
AB 935 was introduced in California's assembly yesterday. The bill would prohibit the sale of tobacco to anyone born after January 1, 2007. Any retailers caught breaking this law would be fined $400-$600 for a first offense and the amounts would increase up to $5,000 to $6,000 for a 5th offense over a five-year period. In addition, once the retailer had committed a 3rd, 4th, or 5th offense they'd be reported to the Board of Equalization which would issue another $250 fine and suspend or revoke the retailer's license.

Since it was just proposed yesterday there is obviously plenty of time for this bill to be amended and I don't have any indication yet whether there is widespread support for the bill. I just thought I'd share so people were aware.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240AB935

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Didn’t they try this with alcohol about 100 years ago?

Brewing in a bathtub (so to speak) was doable by anyone, though, with easily obtainable ingredients.

Meaning people could say FU to the government with action that wasn't preventable, and did.

Growing tobacco is several orders of magnitude more difficult to both do and get away with.

My conclusion? Planet Earth's world's "micro controller" Karen-Thing-Creature-Monsters need to be dealt with by society as soon as they reveal themselves.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I want to say it has no chance of passing, but its California so we'll see.
Oh sweet Jesus, more "it's California" crap. I thought that lobotomies had been outlawed.

I'm a Californian, and I'll tell you that it has no chance of passing. Stupid stuff like this is always getting proposed, people get their panties in a bunch, and it always goes nowhere.

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
Oh sweet Jesus, more "it's California" crap. I thought that lobotomies had been outlawed.

I'm a Californian, and I'll tell you that it has no chance of passing. Stupid stuff like this is always getting proposed, people get their panties in a bunch, and it always goes nowhere.
Well I hope you're right, but you can't tell me California doesn't have a history of passing stupid laws.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I really can't stand how people supporting cannabis are so against tobacco. Even if this may not apply here. Marijuana is much more mind altering, and shjould be just as harmful as smoked tobacco. This kind of retoric is quite common among the young left nowadays. But the only people who would argue along those lines are real stupid anyway.

In Alabama, it was always alcohol. If someone wanted to get elected, they had better kick alcohol in the knees. In the 70's, most of the state was dry, so you could still only buy a beer in maybe four counties. And, just beer or wine. I don't remember ever seeing spirits until the 80's, but there was a pretty large circle of dryness around where I lived.

But, now, the hipsters have brought the state into the 21st century. We have breweries run by hipsters with beards that drag the ground now... and we even have a few distilleries.

But, in the 70's and early 80's, you would be driving along and see a sign with "spirits" written on it, to show you where the bootleggers lived. Usually they had circle driveways, with someone setting next to a refrigerator in the yard. Drive up, and they'd ask, "what can I do for you neighbor?"
There really wasn't any hiding it. Everyone knew. Preacher would be on TV, "what will these politicians do about these bootleggers?" And, come election year, you'd read in the paper Mr soandso gets 25 years in the state pen for bootlegging, and the churches would throw parties. And, the day after the election, the Governor would pardon every last bootlegger that was rounded up.

Everyone knew how it all worked. It was just a game that started a hundred or so years ago.