Peterson's Irish Oak in a 9mm filter pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Best smoke in the world. Try it and see if it isn't so. Bye, Bye, harshness. Hello ethereal indescribable 45 minutes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's really hard to go wrong with Irish Oak in general, but sounds worth trying for that extra 10% that really kicks a smoke into the stratosphere.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's pretty darn good in a cob sans filter, as well. I like PIO enough already that I don't think I'd take the plunge on a 9 mil just for that one pairing. But I have to ask, are you actually using the filter, or running straight pipes?

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Coincidently, I just grabbed up a new Savinelli (2003 Dublin of sorts).
Anyway, I had opened a tin of Irish Oak and wanted to try the filter, having never tried one. The filters on this pipe are 6mm. The pipe was very open with the filter, will try without as that will be the standard, but I will go through the Irish Oak exclusively.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I have a jar lying on my desk, and itt's very... oaky. I'm letting it rest for a bit to see if it goes better.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Well... I didn't think anyone would go out and buy either of these components, but you know, sometimes you just never combine a certain pipe and tobacco, just never crosses your mind. I have always loved Irish Oak, though it was somewhat overpowering for me. Not to mention that I generally agree with the fresh tin having that certain harshness, and that leaving the tin sit for months, and even a year, after cracked, improves this. But I couldn't help wondering if I was missing something underneath that harshness when it is freshly cracked, so I tried it with a 9mm, which type of pipe I have recently fallen in love with. People talk about flavour muting with filter pipes, and I have experienced this, but with Irish Oak, I find it to be, "freshly cracked tin harshness" muting. I'm getting a great flavour from the fresh tin, that I imagine evaporates, as I usually leave it sit for months. Letting the tin sit after cracked still produces a nice smoke unfiltered, but I too find that it becomes "oak dominant" and I tire of it. Lately with a fresh tin and a 9mm pipe, I find myself smoking other stuff out of a sense of responsibility. LOL! Seeing as I only smoke once a day(morning smoker, hence the handle), I want a primo smoke every time. IO in a 9mm delivers that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.