PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yahcela

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Logan, Utah
I've got a nice enough Peterson, but I just don't like the P-lip stem. How can I get the fishtail stem to replace it?
UWyGXH3Nzylk_2UqYjuncYhH5qXPsdriHYZgBWEBeiQ

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Any reputable pipe repair person can make you a fishtail stem and there are a few out there that could even put the P on the stem if it had one. You can get an official fishtail stem made by sending it back to Ireland, but that will take 4-6 weeks or so.
The P Lip takes a bit of getting used too, for sure. You can also widen the hole a bit by inserting a drill bit and gently turning. This will open it up and increase the air flow. I agree with you though, not a big fan myself.
Mike

Reactions: St. David Pipes

yahcela

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Logan, Utah
Here's the pipe in question. I'd insert a pic, but I can't even get my own profile pic fixed... so that won't be happening. Peterson pipe
Also, I'm a little unclear on what nsfisher thinks of P-lip stems. If only people would come out and say what they mean... :puffy:

Reactions: St. David Pipes

yahcela

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Logan, Utah
This is a 1910 Replica. I like the overall shape, but cannot enjoy the pipe with this stem. It's either replace the stem, or trade/sell the pipe.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Im actually hoping to purchase a p-lip soon. I have a pete fishtail now that is nice, just been interested in a p-lip.

yahcela

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Logan, Utah
My issue with them is not the draw, which might be a bit reduced compared to a standard stem, it's where the smoke (and flavor) goes in my mouth. Some of my favorite, flavorful tobaccos don't taste the same when the smoke goes to the roof of the mouth instead of over the tongue. That being said, perhaps others like it for exactly the same reason.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It really cuts down on tongue bite, I do love it for the same reason, the whole reason I like Peterson pipes is the p-lip stem, your idea to remove it makes me go 8O To each his own I guess. Walker Briar Works will handfit a new stem on your pipe with the official Peterson logo as well. http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
The only P lip I have I took a dremmel and cut the end off the stem. That way I was only left woth the hole pointing across the tongue. The hole itself does not look so nice but where I cut it with the dremmel it looks like it was always like that. I still have the flange at the beginning of the P lip there so it looks correct.
Just cut the damn P lip section off. It worked for me... No fuss and works must fine...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one P-Lip on a Killarney Rhodesian. Beautiful pipe. I've gotten used to having to take more of the

bit into my mouth than with fishtail bits, and it gives a little different flavor experience. I wouldn't get

another, but I'm okay with one in a pipe stable of over 30.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Still, I personally would never deface and scar any pipe like that. OK, I can see if the Peterson is an estate pipe and the Pete came with the P-Lip, fine, but even so, if I didn't like the P-Lip, I wouldn't butcher it -- I'd simply have Mike Myers make me a vulcanite fishtail replacement stem, use that, and I'd put the original P-Lip stem in a safe place.
I know... I should be shamed and forced to smoke Dottle for 30 days... How dare I do such a thing...
However I don't think it looks all that bad. Take a look and see what I mean... Yes the draft hole is a little ratty but overall I think it looks pretty good. For a Dremmel job...
plip-side-sun-600x401.jpg

plip-side-600x422.jpg

plip-end-528x600.jpg

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
I took no offense by your post Rothnh so no worries there. :) The cut job could have been a little neater and I need to tidy up the draft hole a little but I haven't looked at it since I found this thread last night.
I know we are a particular type of crowd, but that's want makes us special.
Peace out and happy bowls!... And in the sense for full disclosure... I did buy a replacement p-lip stem BEFORE I attempted this " fix" so I was assured I could always go back to an original stem incase I really messed it up... ;)

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Micheal has NEVER been accused of not saying what he means lol

esoxhunter

Lurker
Jun 5, 2011
Still, I personally would never deface and scar any pipe like that. OK, I can see if the Peterson is an estate pipe and the Pete came with the P-Lip, fine, but even so, if I didn't like the P-Lip, I wouldn't butcher it -- I'd simply have Mike Myers make me a vulcanite fishtail replacement stem, use that, and I'd put the original P-Lip stem in a safe place.
Entirely agree, especially if it is an estate pipe. As a collector of Estate Petersons, I'd be inclined to keep the original stem and then order a replacement. Mike Myers with Walker Briar Works would be good option for doing this. Or, consider simply buying a different Peterson with a fishtail stem--lots of them out there for a decent price.
That said, pipeastronomer's "fix" does look kind of cool . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.